"cask" in a keg idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
Stay with me here, I'm still in the conceptual stages and I don't know if this will even work. I'm thinking of building a cask system that uses a beer in a bag inside of a corny. My thought is, put the bag in the corny, somehow seal it around the dip tube so it's totally air tight. Fill the bag through the dip tube with uncarbonated and primed beer. Add 2-3ps to the keg through the gas fitting which is outside the bag to put a small amount of pressure on the beer bag. Allow the beer in the bag to naturally carbonate.

Now, after this is done, somehow rig up a hand pump to the gas in post AND beer out post which when pumped compresses the bag and pushes carbonated beer out

so... will this work and what am I missing?

If you actually managed to find a way to seal the bag to the Out post, with the lid sealed you'd just have to push air into the In post to dispense...

Cheers!

I have no idea if your idea would work or not, but have you seen this?

[ame]http://youtu.be/YiwmlktdRpA[/ame]

A BIG part of a cask conditioned beer is that its pushed out with air, but there are a people that rig up an RV propane regulator to use low pressure CO2 to serve the beer, with out air.

According to that BYO article, the keg should be laid on it's side so air/co2 can go in the liquid side and beer can come out the gas side. If you're using a hand pump, and injecting air or co2 into the keg, could you not leave the keg upright and pull beer from a shortened dip tube on the liquid side? I don't get why you need the keg lying down when using a hand pump, am I wrong?

You would not need it to be on its side unless you were serving by gravity. Pumping can and has been done with the keg standing.

Back