Cask Conditioning Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one go about it? The wiki doesn't say, and a quick search didn't turn up any threads.

I have a bitter (this one) that is tasting very yummy at 4 days in the primary (gravity is currently 1.016). I'd like to serve it direct from a cask - but what do I need? A cask (where can I get a 5 gal cask?). A cellar at 55F (or a fridge I guess)? At what point do I put it in the cask, and how long does it stay there for before it is ready to drink?

Anyone done this?

Cheers!

It is my understanding that if you put a beer in a keg and use Priming Sugar or DME to prime the keg as apposed to CO2 pressure and serve it ONLY under the pressure that the priming sugar makes, that it is technically considered cask conditioned, Same with Bottle conditioned beers, as long as no artificial CO2 Source is used it is technically "Cask Conditioned". I could be wrong, that is just the jest i have got from the books i have read that cover cask conditioning.

They also say they are not suitable for home brewing.

of course they are, i know many uk home brewers who use them. i myself used one for years

theyre more suited to gentle home use than commercial, in the uk he sells plain brown ones one at a time......

not much use to you i know, but interesting how the speil differs, one side of the pond to another.....

Back