cask carbonating and co2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I've recently been priming my beer in the keg because I can only fit 2 kegs and a co2 tank in the fridge and I want them ready to drink as soon as they get cold rather than waiting 3 or 4 weeks. I've been putting them on the co2 like normal at 15 psi because I assumed they need the pressure for serving. But is that true? Can I just hook up a serving line and let it flow? Followup question: if my primed keg is primed over 15psi is it forcing co2 back into my co2 tank? It makes absolutely no noise or other indication that co2 is going into the keg when I have already primed.

Yes, you need to have it on serving pressure to serve. Just like with a force carbed keg, you can get it to pour with some of the residual pressure for a couple of beers, but it will go flat as you do that as the c02 in the beer equalizes with the headspace.

If the pressure in the keg is higher than the pressure on the regulator, beer can definitely flow back into the regulator, that's why most people have check valves on them.

Back