Cascadia trademark dispute:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm usually against the whole 'trademark' name thing. But, if they have had a trademark on the name for 15 years....sounds like they may have a point. On a side note, I've been to the brew pub when I was in Vancouver. Pretty nice place.

They've got a legitimate claim seeing as they own the Trademark and the BJCP doesn't recognize "Cascadian Dark Ale" or any variant of the name as a style. According to them the style is called "American Style Black Ale".

What does the BJCP have to do with anything? They are a Judging body. And as far as I know haven't officially adopted the style at all. I think the Brewers Association has adopted "American Style India Black Ale".

As long as they are the first to trademark the name, and it's not in the public domain, and as long as they protect the name from infringement, they probably have a very good case.

Question is, when exactly did they begin protecting the trademark. It's all well and good that they've held the trademark for 15 years, but if they only just started making efforts to protect it in the last few years, then maybe some of the folks arguing that the trademark isn't valid may have a point.

That said, it does seem that I've been reading of more examples of *****nozzlery between members of the brewing community lately than I like to think of... What with this, the "Strange Brew" conflict, and I know there are at least another one or two that escape me...

The idea of cascadia has been around since the 1800's and the actual term coined in 1970. So the beer is named after the place not a place named for beer

The idea of cascadia has been around since the 1800's and the actual term coined in 1970. So the beer is named after the place not a place named for beer

Well! Why didn't somebody say so?!?

The idea of crestwood has been around for longer than that. I am not about to name any of the styles I have made Crestwoodian because just MAYBE somebody else has replicated much the same beer somewhere else, and I am not a completely concieted ********* of an asshat.

cheezydemon3 said:
Well! Why didn't somebody say so?!?

The idea of crestwood has been around for longer than that. I am not about to name any of the styles I have made Crestwoodian because just MAYBE somebody else has replicated much the same beer somewhere else, and I am not a completely concieted ********* of an asshat.

What like English brown ale, czech pils, and California common? Yeah real "*****ebags and asshats". Lighten up.

If a style is from a country fine. If it is unanimous that a style came from a state, then also fine. When people all over the country claim to have made a certain style, and no one knows who was first, then to name it after the neighborhood where you happen to live is *****ebaggery, plain and simple.

Ok. That makes sense. Being from a small island in western canada I guess I see a lot of cascadian dark ales and didnt reaally think it was prevalent elsewhere. I guess that is pretty small minded. Convinced.

That said, it does seem that I've been reading of more examples of *****nozzlery between members of the brewing community lately than I like to think of... What with this, the "Strange Brew" conflict, and I know there are at least another one or two that escape me...

I hope it doesn't surprise you though. Too many in this community view "craft" brewers as these honest and noble gods who are above the business practices of the "evil" corporate overlords InBev and MillerCoors. It's a fantasy world that we've created because the brewers might occasionally smile when you visit and ask for their recipe. The vast majority of them would do exactly what the corporations do (they're all corporations also...) to protect and grow their brands and most importantly, wallets.

A tempest in a teacup ends with with a wry chuckle (for me anyway)
"Cloak and Dagger" - I love it. This should be the end of the Cascadian trademark bull***t:

http://barleymowat.com/2013/04/08/gib-cda-is-coming/

http://lovegoodbeer.com/2013/04/granville-island-cloak-and-dagger-cascadian-dark-ale/

cloak-and-dagger-cascadian-dark-ale.jpg

Back