Cascadia trademark dispute:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm usually against the whole 'trademark' name thing. But, if they have had a trademark on the name for 15 years....sounds like they may have a point. On a side note, I've been to the brew pub when I was in Vancouver. Pretty nice place.

dfc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They've got a legitimate claim seeing as they own the Trademark and the BJCP doesn't recognize "Cascadian Dark Ale" or any variant of the name as a style. According to them the style is called "American Style Black Ale".

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What does the BJCP have to do with anything? They are a Judging body. And as far as I know haven't officially adopted the style at all. I think the Brewers Association has adopted "American Style India Black Ale".

As long as they are the first to trademark the name, and it's not in the public domain, and as long as they protect the name from infringement, they probably have a very good case.

stratslinger

Reaction score
Question is, when exactly did they begin protecting the trademark. It's all well and good that they've held the trademark for 15 years, but if they only just started making efforts to protect it in the last few years, then maybe some of the folks arguing that the trademark isn't valid may have a point.

That said, it does seem that I've been reading of more examples of *****nozzlery between members of the brewing community lately than I like to think of... What with this, the "Strange Brew" conflict, and I know there are at least another one or two that escape me...

ong

Reaction score
cheezydemon3 said:
Crediting a "Place" with a style was ridiculous to begin with. More power too em.
Yeah, like a Flanders red ale or Berlinerweiss or Scottish 60/-. Oh, wait.

PagodaBrewingCo

Reaction score
The idea of cascadia has been around since the 1800's and the actual term coined in 1970. So the beer is named after the place not a place named for beer

cheezydemon3

Banned
Reaction score
The idea of cascadia has been around since the 1800's and the actual term coined in 1970. So the beer is named after the place not a place named for beer
Well! Why didn't somebody say so?!?

The idea of crestwood has been around for longer than that. I am not about to name any of the styles I have made Crestwoodian because just MAYBE somebody else has replicated much the same beer somewhere else, and I am not a completely concieted ********* of an asshat.

PagodaBrewingCo

Reaction score
cheezydemon3 said:
Well! Why didn't somebody say so?!?

The idea of crestwood has been around for longer than that. I am not about to name any of the styles I have made Crestwoodian because just MAYBE somebody else has replicated much the same beer somewhere else, and I am not a completely concieted ********* of an asshat.
What like English brown ale, czech pils, and California common? Yeah real "*****ebags and asshats". Lighten up.

cheezydemon3

Banned
Reaction score
If a style is from a country fine. If it is unanimous that a style came from a state, then also fine. When people all over the country claim to have made a certain style, and no one knows who was first, then to name it after the neighborhood where you happen to live is *****ebaggery, plain and simple.

PagodaBrewingCo

Reaction score
Ok. That makes sense. Being from a small island in western canada I guess I see a lot of cascadian dark ales and didnt reaally think it was prevalent elsewhere. I guess that is pretty small minded. Convinced.

Airborneguy

Adjunct of the Law
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That said, it does seem that I've been reading of more examples of *****nozzlery between members of the brewing community lately than I like to think of... What with this, the "Strange Brew" conflict, and I know there are at least another one or two that escape me...
I hope it doesn't surprise you though. Too many in this community view "craft" brewers as these honest and noble gods who are above the business practices of the "evil" corporate overlords InBev and MillerCoors. It's a fantasy world that we've created because the brewers might occasionally smile when you visit and ask for their recipe. The vast majority of them would do exactly what the corporations do (they're all corporations also...) to protect and grow their brands and most importantly, wallets.

terrapinj

Reaction score
funny that everyone is up in arms and yet the breweries directly involved seem to hold no ill-will

Latest posts