Cascade Wheat Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3724
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Golden orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 80 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 80 F
Tasting Notes
Malty, fruity, with a dry and mildly tart finish. Silky mouthfeel.
6# Belgian wheat
5# Belgian Pilsner
3.5# Vienna
1# Flaked oats

1 oz Cascade - 60 min
1 oz Cascade - 10 min

Mashed at 155 for 90 minutes, no sparge.

Bottle conditioned for two weeks

I am very pleased with the result. The balance of dryness and body is great. Despite all the things I've heard about this yeast getting stuck at 1.030, I think it finished nicely with no problems. It's a little higher gravity than the traditional style, but it does not taste too alcoholic.

6# Belgian wheat
5# Belgian Pilsner
3.5# Vienna
1# Flaked oats

1 oz Cascade - 60 min
1 oz Cascade - 10 min

Mashed at 155 for 90 minutes, no sparge.

Bottle conditioned for two weeks

I am very pleased with the result. The balance of dryness and body is great. Despite all the things I've heard about this yeast getting stuck at 1.030, I think it finished nicely with no problems. It's a little higher gravity than the traditional style, but it does not taste too alcoholic.

What yeast?

Wyeast 3724, Belgian Saison. It's in with the title stuff, but is suppose I should have added what it actually was rather than just the product number. Oops!

See screen shot

13823008287981.jpg

I really enjoy working with 3724, but that is a great finish for 21 days at that warm of a mash. I mash lower and ferment higher and longer. Glad it worked out for ya!

Me too, I was uncertain how it would go since I've heard it can be finicky. I'll definitely be using it again in the future, maybe even try adding fruit.

I brewed a cascade wheat saison a couple weeks ago and I'm looking forward to the first taste. I ended up going with a relatively heavy 4 oz of late addition cascade. Mashed at 149F, fermented at 84F with 3rd gen 3724 and I think it was done in about 4-5 days.

Back