Cascade, Mosaic, and Amarillo IPA (partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my first partial mash brew. Actually, it's my first original recipe. It's fermenting now. It uses the above-mentioned hops and is supposed to be pretty dry, with no crystal malt except a little bit of carapils. Notably, it uses Imperial Organic's Dry Hop yeast (apparently, a mixture of Conan and WLP 644). I'll report progress later.

Target OG: 1.066
Actual OG: 1.064 or 65
Target FG: 1.013 (Assumes 80% apparent attenuation. I've heard Sacc. brux. is highly attenuative)
IBU: 60.2-ish (no adjustment for late extract addition)
Volume: 5.5 gallons

Fermentables:
4.5 lbs American two-row (would have used Maris Otter, but the LHBS was out)
1 lb Munich
0.25 lb Victory
0.25 lb Carapils
4 lbs Golden Light DME

Hops:
1 oz. Magnum (13.3% AA) @ 60 minutes
0.33 oz. Cascade (6.9% AA) @ 20 minutes
0.33 oz. Amarillo (7% AA) @ 20 minutes
0.33 oz. Mosaic (13.6% AA) @ 20 minutes
0.33 oz. Cascade (6.9% AA) @ 10 minutes
0.33 oz. Amarillo (7% AA) @ 10 minutes
0.33 oz. Mosaic (13.6% AA) @ 10 minutes
0.33 oz. Cascade (6.9% AA) @ flameout
0.33 oz. Amarillo (7% AA) @ flameout
0.33 oz. Mosaic (13.6% AA) @ flameout

Yeast: Imperial Organics A24 Dry Hop

Mash grain @ 152 degrees for 40 minutes, mash-out at 170 for 10 minutes, sparge at 170 for 10 minutes. 3 pounds of the DME reserved until the end of the boil. Ferment at 64; gradually raise to 72. I added Whirfloc and plan to add non-gelatin finings at the end of fermentation to get as clear a beer as possible (not optimistic b/c of the non-flocculant yeast).

Happy to hear feedback, positive or negative. I'm not sure what to dry hop it with yet--I was thinking Amarillo and Mosaic, Citra and Mosaic, or Galaxy and Mosaic. This might all be groping around in the dark, since I haven't brewed with any of those hops except Citra.

Bump with pictures. This is 36 hours after pitching the yeast, and about 24 hours after visible signs of fermentation. It looks pretty good and smells nice. Lots of airlock activity.

20170107_123202.jpg

20170107_123219.jpg

Recipe looks good and so do the pictures!

I would dry hop with Citra and Mosaic...for me those are a great hop combo!

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion, Sammy86.

Hydrometer after 9 days: 1.0111. Apparent attenuation ~83%.

Gravity sample tastes very pleasant. Reminiscent of orange juice. Not much bitterness apparent. Maybe that will show up when more of the protein and yeast drop out.

I plan to check the gravity again next Monday or Tuesday. I'll dry hop then and bottle next Sunday if it's stable.

Sorry the pictures aren't great.

20170114_123945.jpg

20170114_124020.jpg

So I just tried a bottle that had been conditioning for only 7 days (I know, I should wait), and it was outstanding. Exactly what I was hoping for. I even got decent lacing. I'll post pictures for subsequent bottles that have been conditioned longer.

I only carbed to 2.3 vols or so.

I also ended up dry hopping with one ounce each of cascade, mosaic, and amarillo. I wanted to see the hop combination through til the end.

Back