Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
Any comments on the hop schedule for this one? Have some old Cascade to use up as I got a new shipment in!!

5.5 Gallons
OG-1.060
IBU-50
90 min boil

11.5 lbs M.O.
.75 lbs Caramel 60
.25 lbs Special B

.5 oz Warrior 80mins (27.6 IBU)
2 oz Cascade 15mins (16 IBU)
1 oz Cascade 10min (6 IBU)
1 oz Cascade 1min (.7 IBU_
1 oz Cascade Dryhop

US-05

Only that it looks awesome! I love adding the majority of my hops at 20 minutes or less, and I usually try to get at least half of my IBUs from late additions on hoppy beers. I bet that recipe makes a tasty beer.

I would use the 1 minute addition after flameout when wort drops below 180f, you will get unbelievable aroma from it.

Cool...my other thought was to take maybe 1/2 oz of the 15 min addition and FWH as well. I know that would up the IBUs a bit. What do y'all think?

Cool...my other thought was to take maybe 1/2 oz of the 15 min addition and FWH as well. I know that would up the IBUs a bit. What do y'all think?

It will up the ibu but it will "smooth" out the hop flavor, although I don't know if a 1/2 oz will make a big difference. I'm not a big fan of fwhopping ipa's, I want them to be as bright or zingy (if that makes sense) as possible.

If you did do it, I would go with a full oz.

I would put the majority (to 2 oz) into the dry hopping for max aroma, and move one of the ounces from 20 to the 10 minute. But then again I like my IPA's to be super hoppy aroma and not as much bitter.

I feel like FWH is a waste of hops. Even if you're into it, Cascade is not a hop typically recommended for FWH.

I FWH all the time... why is Cascade not recommended for FWH? I FWH with it all the time. It fits the bill, low AA, nice aroma/flavor hop...

I generally move 30% of my late addition hops to FWH in my beers where I want the hops to come through. If I want aroma, I dry hop... the aroma compounds are so volitile that even late addition hops will sacrifice some aroma compounds.

The bitterness contribution of a FWH is about the same as a 20 min addition.

I happen to really enjoy the fuller, rounder flavor of FWH beers

Yum!

I've never used Special B -- what does it bring to the table?

I'd also maybe drop your MO by a lb and add a lb of Munich - I just love Munich in an IPA.

I FWH all the time... why is Cascade not recommended for FWH? I FWH with it all the time. It fits the bill, low AA, nice aroma/flavor hop...

I generally move 30% of my late addition hops to FWH in my beers where I want the hops to come through. If I want aroma, I dry hop... the aroma compounds are so volitile that even late addition hops will sacrifice some aroma compounds.

The bitterness contribution of a FWH is about the same as a 20 min addition.

I happen to really enjoy the fuller, rounder flavor of FWH beers

Generally, the literature suggests greater success with FWH when using low co-humulone hops. Cascade is very high, upwards of 40%, where as more typical FWH hops (Hallertau, Amarillo, Saaz, etc.) are at or below 20%. The idea is that the harsher bitterness from co-humulone is increased by FWH, making Cascade a less than ideal candidate.

Thanks for all the feed back!

I guess to FWH or not to FWH....it'll be a game time decision!

I did FWH an IPA earlier this week with Amarillo....

Edit: The special B is supposed to add a raisiny (dark fruit) character

Generally, the literature suggests greater success with FWH when using low co-humulone hops. Cascade is very high, upwards of 40%, where as more typical FWH hops (Hallertau, Amarillo, Saaz, etc.) are at or below 20%. The idea is that the harsher bitterness from co-humulone is increased by FWH, making Cascade a less than ideal candidate.

I have not noted a harsher bitterness, and I have used Cascade as a FWH in about 4 brews thus far. That is all I am saying... I have even FWH'ed my Haus Ale which has a very low OG and hop profile, and not noticed a harsher bitterness, just a smoother, more rounded flavor. I am sure literature suggests otherwise, but that has not been my experience.

Back