Cascade Bomb Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I love SNPA and figured I'd make something like that. I ordered an 8 oz pack along with a 1 and 2 oz pack as the AA's aren't stated and I wanted around 45 IBU's.

5.25 gal batch

8 lbs pale ale malt
0.75 lb crystal 40
0.5 lb flaked barley
0.25 lb light DME
0.5 oz Cascade (6.8%) @ 70 mins
1.75 oz Cascade @ 21/7 mins
2 oz Cascade for whirlpool and dry hop
US-05

1.050/1.010
5.3%
48 IBU's
7 SRM

I'll be getting this started around noon today and I'm now uncertain whether I'd prefer to forgo the dry hop and smack it good at the whirlpool.

I had been doing 28 min whirlpools but read of some who prefer a longer whirlpool (up to an hour). Which would you do and why?

For hoppy beers are target a little high as Brewtoad doesn't seem accurate, and I've read Tinseth doesn't work correctly for late hop additions. My IPA's have a similar hop schedule as above (with higher AA hops) with an IBU calculated around 100 and these are not bitter, but more like a nice west coast style. I assume this will come across more like a 40 IBU pale.

Just a general question - I see .25 lb light DME. How much does that change a 5 gal batch? Would turbinado do?

Sounds good, but I'd personally put some more hops in the full boil....but that's just me ....been so long since I brewed my SNPA interpretation that I forget it all ... and gave away all my recipes to a friend who was just getting started when we were moving from MI to TN.....making mead nowadays :)

Just a general question - I see .25 lb light DME. How much does that change a 5 gal batch? Would turbinado do?

According to Brewtoad it dropped the OG 0.002 points and 0.2% ABV.

This is my starter. I used a whisk to aerate and placed it in my fermentation chamber. I had been shaking and leaving it out on the table but figured that may not be ideal, though I've never noticed anything before.

Sounds good, but I'd personally put some more hops in the full boil....but that's just me ....been so long since I brewed my SNPA interpretation that I forget it all ... and gave away all my recipes to a friend who was just getting started when we were moving from MI to TN.....making mead nowadays :)

I looked at what BYO has online and they've used far less hops with just 37 IBUs.

The way I'm targeting this is that it fits in the crossover section for a pale ale and IPA (priming sugar ought to bring it up to 5.5%).

I tried this yesterday next to SNPA. Mine is certainly more hop forward. SNPA was noticeably more bitter. Mine wasn't as hoppy as I expected and I believe next time I'll use all of the excess hops in the whirlpool instead of having a small dry hop.

so 28 minute whirlpool?
And you kept the 1/2 oz for 70 mins, and then 1.75 oz at 21 and another 1.75 at 7 minutes too? then 2 oz for whirlpool, and 2 oz for dry hop?

Yes.

I think I'll extend the whirlpool too. Twice as long as I do for my IPAs.

I'm planning something similar this weekend:

9 lbs pale malt
1 lb C60

Should get me to about 1.056 in 5.5 gallons.

1 ozs cascade FWH
0.5 ozs magnum @ 60
1 ozs cascade @ 15
1 ozs cascade @ 10
1 ozs cascade @ 5
2 ozs cascade whirlpool for 60 minutes, added after wort cools to 175 F
2 ozs cascade dry hop for 10 days.

Still debating on whether to use Chico yeast, or Essex yeast. I know Chico is SNs yeast.

I even have the stupid thought of adding grapefruit zest at 15 - please tell me that is a bad idea.

That looks good too.

Not sure the dry hop was all that effective. I noticed it when I first opened it but after that it seemed muted, which is the other part of why I'll just whirlpool it all next time.

Grapefruit zest is horrible! I've had two IPAs now and both were terrible. Maybe just a pinch would be enough to meld nicely with the Cascade though.

Back