Cascade and willamette hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
I have tons of each of these and want to know what beerd to use them on.

i have an oatmeal stout but i tend to think stouts do not taste very bittter. will cascade or willamette work for a stout and or any other ales? also what are the rules for hops? beginng= tast Middle = aroma and end=aroma?

just want some tips on how to use hops correctly

both can work in a stout. for a more traditional stout, williamette is prob better, but "american" stouts can have cascade. A lot of stout recipes aren't expected to have hop flavor and aroma, so people only use bittering hop addition (beginning of boil)

my lhbs has an amber and on tap that used both as finishing hops. Yumm.

Generally beginning is bittering, middle is flavor, end is aroma. You could make a nice American style pale, amber, or ipa with the right amounts of each of those

Actually dry stouts can be fairly hoppy. I just brewed one today using Willamette that came in at 41 IBUs. It's Jami's Recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I just subbed the Willamette for EKG because I have a lb of them on hand.

I think you could make a really nice amber ale with those. I've used both a lot for finishing hops, but they should work really nicely together to make a good flavor.

Willamette are very versatile hops and a favorite among many here. Cascade's obviously can be used in APAs, IPAs, and many other American style brews.

Back