Cascade and willamette hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
Just ordered 1lb of ech of these and need some extract recipes to use them in. I had a few beers and thought bulk ordering would save so money. also how long do hops last and where do i store them

Store them in the freezer and try to get all the air out. Whole hops can oxidize fairly quickly. You might consider portioning some of them out so you don't have to expose the whole lot to air every time you take some out. If I were you I'd brew some huge pale ales and IPA's with the cascade. I personally love Willamette hops and use them for everything. They come from Fuggles so they work great in English style ales but are very versatile. Just brew your ass off for the next couple months so the hops don't have time to go bad.

Yeah, I'd look into some APA and IPA/IIPA recipes unless you can package them well and freeze them.

And JonK, hello from a fellow south bay brewer.

Dude, I just bought a lb of the exact same hops as you. This is what I have planned. I'm going to brew 10 gallons of Ed's Haus Pale dry hopped with 1 oz/5 gallons (6 oz of cascades right there), Ó Flannagáin Standard stout using Willamettes instead of EKG (1 oz), and BM's Cream of Three crops using all Willamettes and no Crystal Hops (1 oz).

Willamettes are a very versatile hop and if you haven't used them much before, I bet you will after you use up that lb you just bought. I don't see any reason why in a few brews you can't use up all of those Cascades either. A good Pale ale can use anywhere from 2 to 6 oz of hops or so in one 5 gallon recipe. I'm already wishing I would've bought 2 lb's of Cascades considering how much I enjoy them.

RDWHAHB,
J

If you have a Foodsaver, you can easily keep those hops for a good long time in the freezer, especially if you do as JonK suggestion and portion them out in 1oz individual bags. I have several pounds of assorted hops in my freezer, both whole hops and pellets, and I don't worry too much about them going bad, because I have a FoodSaver and have repackaged them in the smaller bags.

Foodsaver. Excellent idea. I have been afraid to order in that kind of bulk but with a foodsaver...

Hello to you as well MBasile. I'd be curious to chat with you about our local water.

If you have a Foodsaver, you can easily keep those hops for a good long time in the freezer, especially if you do as JonK suggestion and portion them out in 1oz individual bags. I have several pounds of assorted hops in my freezer, both whole hops and pellets, and I don't worry too much about them going bad, because I have a FoodSaver and have repackaged them in the smaller bags.

I just don't think I can shovel out a hundred bucks for a FoodSaver. I was actually pricing them yesterday at Wally World.

I just don't think I can shovel out a hundred bucks for a FoodSaver. I was actually pricing them yesterday at Wally World.

the seal-a-meal is cheaper and can use the foodsaver bags, but the seal-a-meal bags are also cheaper.

i think the foodsaver is probably more robust.

There was a thread yesterday with a discount code. $68 shipped when you drop it in the cart. A $130 model. I almost pulled the trigger on that one but realized I have a vacuum pump and a tacking iron. A quick experiment showed me that I can use the tacking iron to seal the bag, so...

Back