Carry On Smack Packs / Vials through TSA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aloha, I have a friend visiting next week and he's bringing out a few strains of yeast that I had him pickup on the mainland which I couldn't get here. I was wondering if anyone new if he could carry them on the plane with him in a small ice box. I've put them in a lunch box cooler and checked it in my luggage several times, this time however, he will not be checking any luggage. I also emailed wyeast but thought I'd try here too. Any one try this? Thanks in advance

I haven't done it, but probably not. Don't they have a limit on the amount of liquid you can carry on? The last time I flew, I couldn't even bring more than an ounce of shampoo (or was it three ounces?) and it had to be in a clear ziploc one quart bag, certainly not in a cooler. I'm thinking that if I can't even bring water in a clear container onboard then they won't allow a cooler with liquid yeast.

From what I can find, wyeast packs are 4.5oz? and White labs vials are 35 ml or 1.18 ounces. TSA allows up to 3.5 oz so maybe no to the wyeast and yes to the whitelabs? There are no distributors of Whitelabs here so I cant confirm the 35ml. Thanks for the quick reply yooper!

From what I can find, wyeast packs are 4.5oz? and White labs vials are 35 ml or 1.18 ounces. TSA allows up to 3.5 oz so maybe no to the wyeast and yes to the whitelabs? There are no distributors of Whitelabs here so I cant confirm the 35ml. Thanks for the quick reply yooper!

Here's the TSA rules: http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

I think where you or your friend are going to have problems is going to be with the cooler. Ice isn't going to be allowed I wouldn't think and a cold pack I doubt would be either since there is liquid in it. The wyeast smack packs are pretty small when they aren't activated, so maybe they would let it slide.

For whatever reason I was allowed to bring a full big bottle of contact solution on to a plane last time i flew. The guy saw it and didn't say anything about it. I had forgotten it was in there.

You probably could open the packets and divide them up into smaller containers. The TSA is really strange because you can have multiple liquids of the size, just not all in one container (I think thats how it is at least).

I did hear back from wyeast, they said their activator packs are 4.25 oz and they believe the TSA restriction will not allow them. They advise placing them in the cargo hold.

Good point on the ice packs, we were going to use the disposable gel packs, however I didn't even think about those being a problem. I will probably wait for someone else heading this way to pack them in their suitcase. I'd rather not risk them not being allowed or having to check a bag just for the yeast.

just a thought, i work for the airlines, and i know dry ice is allowed aboard most transport category aircraft in limited quantities, contact the airline for a straight forward answer, once you talk to them and get their rules worse case scenario would be the tsa forces you to check it which would be no big deal at that point.

on a second thought, why not just check it with dry ice and tape up the cooler after checking in for the flight and showing them the contents of the cooler when you go to check the cooler, shouldnt be a problem. another option, have him acquire some commercial examples you could ranch the yeast from and check those in his baggage.

I haven't done it, but probably not. Don't they have a limit on the amount of liquid you can carry on? The last time I flew, I couldn't even bring more than an ounce of shampoo (or was it three ounces?) and it had to be in a clear ziploc one quart bag, certainly not in a cooler. I'm thinking that if I can't even bring water in a clear container onboard then they won't allow a cooler with liquid yeast.

They've relaxed a lot, especially post-"don't grab my junk, bro" controversy. You still can't bring more than 4oz I think, but you don't necessarily need a clear plastic bag. They won't hassle you for not having one.

on a second thought, why not just check it with dry ice and tape up the cooler after checking in for the flight and showing them the contents of the cooler when you go to check the cooler, shouldnt be a problem. another option, have him acquire some commercial examples you could ranch the yeast from and check those in his baggage.

I wanted to avoid checking it since he will be traveling light and only bringing a carry on with him. Its not cost effective to pay $20 airline fee for checking a bag just cause of the yeast. If we could carry it on, then great, if no can, I have other relatives visiting soon who will be checking bags.

I packaged several smackpacks in a lunch box size cooler with a few ice packs and placed that in a suitcase. Survived a 7 hr flight + added time no problem. The baggage fees where what was prompting the inquiry. Thanks for the responses!

Here is what I would do... Put the white labs tube in a clear bag with your toiletries as these only get a cursory view and the yeast should not be a prohibited item if less than three oz. Then pack an empty small soft cooler in his bag and an extra zip lock bad. Once he is thru security have him get some ice from a vendor (buy a fountain pop if needed) and fill the ziplock bag, place it all in the cooler and hit the bar.

This will keep the yeast cool and not violate any TSA rules that i am aware of. Plus, the yeast will easily live thru a seven hour flight at room temp with little reduction in their viability. Your starter will still work just fine IMO.

Oh, and USPS small flat rate priority mail boxes are way cheaper than $20 (like $10) and you can mail yeast and ice packs. You can pay your friend the postage thru paypal and he can print the shipping labels at home. The USPS will deliver him flat rate boxes for free, order them online.

Back