carmel apple wheat pic, and a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so here is the final product of my carmel apple wheat beer. After 5 days of conditioning, it clearly needs a little more time to fully carbonate. I am afraid that it's going to be lacking a little bit in head retention.

after_5_days_conditioning.JPG

what can i add to my recipe to enhance the head retention that won't affect the flavor of the beer? Flaked corn? I'm still doing extract brews so I don't really have the option of a protien rest. Also having used 1 and 1/4 cup of DME to a 5 gallon batch how long should I really expect the conditioning to take? condition temp is around 65-68F

Try a 1/2 lb of cara-pils for both a bit of body and head retention. Should do the job with no impact on taste - even with extract. Just steep it with the other steeping grains.

try not to drink any more until there at least like 3 weeks. at least

try not to drink any more until there at least like 3 weeks. at least

+1, you'd be surprised what a difference a week or two makes. If the head retention still sucks after a few weeks to a month, then start considering what you might add to make it better. However, odds are it will be find by then.

I'd be interested in trying one of those, whats the recipe?

Let me know how this tastes when it has conditioned more as I may being doing something similar in the future

Back