Careers in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately of a career change. More of an 'encore career' since my wife will be eligible for retirement in a couple years and we would like to move from where we live.

I'm wondering what kinds of opportunities there might be working in the beer and brewing industry. Aside from being a 'brewer' what other opportunities might I consider? I've been in management for many years, mostly in I.T., so I'd be interested in something more on the business end of the industry vs manufacturing and production.

I've thought about something in sales or a manufacturers rep. I'd even consider an operations manager role in manufacturing, however, I'd like to take advantage of my experience in technology and business and reapply it in something totally different and in a more creative way.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what sorts of roles I can research? If you or someone you know has a job doing something as I've described, please share the experience about the role that you (or they) are in.

Thanks in advance, I'd love to research and prepare for what I do next.

Good luck in whatever you choose, but I do not like to mix my hobbies and work. I brew beer for fun. If I worked at a brewery for 8 or 10 hours a day, don't think I would want to come home and brew more beer. I love to bass fish, but don't want to do it for a job. If you get in on the business side, might not be too bad.

Packaging expertise is always in demand. Someone who can fix anything, and do it frequently, to keep bottling/canning lines running...an your expertise could probably carry over to copperage/logistics and even QC in some capacity.

Your best bet is going to be self teaching (or if you've got the time and money, a Seibel course might be a good way to go) everything you can about brew tech, and a lot of that lands in the packaging area. Attending CBC would do wonders for the job hunt once you've acquired a little knowledge of various packaging systems/protocols/technologies.

Join the brewers association (not HBA) as an individual to gain access to various resources for learning, including their forums, and watch that forum and pro-brewer for job listings.

Good luck!

Good luck in whatever you choose, but I do not like to mix my hobbies and work. I brew beer for fun. If I worked at a brewery for 8 or 10 hours a day, don't think I would want to come home and brew more beer. I love to bass fish, but don't want to do it for a job. If you get in on the business side, might not be too bad.

Ya, I know what you mean. I don't want to brew, but something in the field might be fun.

Back