Cardboard taste for first few ounces of a pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlscan26

Reaction score
The first few ounces of every pour on my kegerator taste like cardboard. I am using the beverage line that more beer sells. It's happening on multiple taps so I don't think I have an air leak going on to cause this oxidation. Any ideas?

I clean the faucets and lines every time I swap a keg. I have a small pump I recirc PBW then water then starsan through. I take the faucets apart every other keg at most. Usually every keg.

I have 4 taps but have only really used three consistently. I just replaced the lines on two of the taps. I only have two beers on tap now and the taste is happening with the new line and the older (1year old) line. I'm about to tap a BGS on the new line with the faucet I've used the least. The line is full of starsan right now. I'll flush that out with a fresh run of starsan before I connect it.

I don't drink every day but this seems to happen after at most two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like you do a good job of cleaning your equipment. Not sure if if its OK or not, but I usually don't let starsan sit in my lines of faucet for more than 30 minutes or so.

Is it possibly something with the glasses you are using? like left over dishsoap residue or something. This is moot if you use a new glass with each pour, but a lot of people just reuse their current glass on a refill.

I'd suspect the glasses too. Sometimes if you inverta glass in the cabinet that still has some moisture or dry it inverted on a dish towel, something like that, it will have a subtle musty aroma. Stick your nose in the glass before pouring and see if that's the case.

Interesting on the glasses - I'll check that this evening.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well that doesn't seem to be it. I wonder if I've damaged the lines by keeping star san in them for up to several months?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back