CarbTabs not dissolving after 2 weeks?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarbourHops

Reaction score
This is my second batch and I tried to do a porter.

This is my first time trying to use the CarbTabs. We put three tabs in per bottle for a light carbonation per the directions on the packaging. I have been storing the bottles in my closet. The temps have stayed in the upper 60's low 70's the entire time. It's been 2 weeks now and the tabs still have not dissolved? The directions with the tabs say to store at room temp for 1 week to carbonate? Is there a reason they wouldn't be dissolving? There is a lot of stuff floating around in the bottles.

I did manage to find 2 bottles that I didn't see the tabs in and when I popped the top foam started pouring out. That beer also still had a lot of stuff in it. Tasted fine though?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I used carb tabs once and found the tabs never did 100% dissolve but the beer carbed up fine. Give them a good 3-4 day chill before drinking and be careful with the pours, they will be great.

I've really never been a fan of carb tabs/carb drops. I've actually been wanting to try Prime Dose on the next big batch of Barley Wine. definitely chill them bad boys before drinking.

If im racking cold beer into the bottles on top of carb tabs (after cold crashing), Ill rotate the bottles a couple times the next day to be sure the sugar is mixed properly. Ive had issues in the past with no carbonation after weeks until i rotated the bottles.

I have never been able to get the carb drops to work. Tried several different brands. Just stick to adding priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Never had one fail to carb that way. If anyone finds a brand that works I would like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

O.K. Thought I might have done something wrong. Sounds like the tabs aren't the way to go. Again, many thanks. It's nice to have people willing to help out and offer advice. Makes this hobby that much more enjoyable.

Some people have no problems with them but I could never get them to work right. After the third batch did not carb correctly I stopped using them. I have a bottling bucket now so I just drop my priming sugar solution in there and add the beer. Never had a problem with that method

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used the Cooper's tabs and another brand (the larger ones that require just one per bottle) several times, and they always worked well. However I batch prime as it's much cheaper and I can give my beer the desired volume of carbonation. It's not any harder, and there's no chance of double priming on accident.

I have also used the larger ones (coopers and morebeer) with no problems. They always dissolve fine though - I would be worried about them carbing properly if they didn't. I have heard the capsules on the prime dose tend to linger.

Back