Carboy w/ blow-hose or airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyR

Reaction score
Hey All,

Sort story - My Friends and I had a catastrophic disaster with the cheap spicket on a food grade bucket last night. This has convinced us to upgrade to glass carboys.

Question: Is it a 5 gallon carboy with a blow-off hose? 6 ½ gallon with a blow-off hose? Or just a 6 ½ gallon with an airlock?

The book “Joy of Homebrewing” recommends a blow-off hose because it removes that top layer of fest. Which makes since and is why I’m considering that method.

I think you may be confused.
For 1, a blow off hose in sanitizing solution is an air lock, just a big one.
2 A blow off hose is always recommended for early fermentation, and then you should switch to a small airlock, but I guess you would not have to.
A blow off hose should be $1.50 or so, an airlock is $1.00 so..... What's the problem?

cheezydemon said:
I think you may be confused.
For 1, a blow off hose in sanitizing solution is an air lock, just a big one.
2 A blow off hose is always recommended for early fermentation, and then you should switch to a small airlock, but I guess you would not have to.
A blow off hose should be $1.50 or so, an airlock is $1.00 so..... What's the problem?

The size of the carboy. Should it be 5 gallons or will a blow-off hose still work in a 6 1/2 gallon?

Get a 6.5 gallon carboy, a carboy bung, tubing for a blow-off hose, and an airlock and you will be all set for primary fermentation. I would also recommend getting a wine thief of some kind for taking test samples from the carboy (mainly for checking gravity). Fermentec makes a great one for just this purpose.

You can also pick up a 5 gallon carboy for use as a secondary stage/clearing tank if you feel like that is something you want to do.

Back