Carboy scratched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
So I recently seem to have scratched my carboy right where the shoulder starts at the large diameter. I was trying to remove old crusty deposits with a carboy brush (an old one). The brushes bristles are bent away and the metal core must have caused scratches. I wasn't worried but the beer I brewed in it is beginning to show possible signs of infection. I was not worried till the possible infection showed up.
Has anyone else scratched a carboy? I thought these things were durable!

Has anyone else scratched the inside of their carboys?

Scratched plastic is notorious for harboring contaminating bacteria. This is the major reason why many people advocate the use of glass.

Also, a brush on plastic carboys is a big no-no for this exact reason. I stuff a towel in the carboy and vigorously swirl it around to remove most deposits.

Plastic carboys are very durable for the price. But anytime you put metal up against plastic, the plastic will lose every time. I've never tried a plastic carboy for that very reason. Even if you weren't seeing the signs of infection, you will definitely taste it. I've been using the same glass carboy for years and will definitely say it's an investment worth making.

So I recently seem to have scratched my carboy right where the shoulder starts at the large diameter. I was trying to remove old crusty deposits with a carboy brush (an old one). The brushes bristles are bent away and the metal core must have caused scratches. I wasn't worried but the beer I brewed in it is beginning to show possible signs of infection. I was not worried till the possible infection showed up.
Has anyone else scratched a carboy? I thought these things were durable!

Has anyone else scratched the inside of their carboys?

you are not the only person who has scratched a plastic carboy, it's not a problem at all. it is very unlikely that you put a scratch in your carboy that is deep enough for bugs to hide from your cleaning regimen. clearly there are many people who will tell you that a scratch in a carboy, or bucket is a problem but it's not. my guess is that most plastic fermentors are scratched and perform with out a problem as long as the cleaning regimen is sound.

oh, i too use a carboy brush in my plastic carboys, i think many other people here do the same.

Scratched plastic is notorious for being assumed to be harboring contaminating bacteria. This is the major reason why many people advocate the use of glass.

Also, a brush on plastic carboys is a big no-no for this exact reason. I stuff a towel in the carboy and vigorously swirl it around to remove most deposits.

Fixed

I've only had contamination in glass, and I've been using the same bucket for years.

Fixed

I've only had contamination in glass, and I've been using the same bucket for years.

It's a reasonable assumption. It is very difficult to pinpoint the source of infection. Something could have gotten in during cooling, then after sitting in a plastic or glass fermenter it grows. Hard to blame the carboy in that instance, regardless of its makeup.

Back