Carboy replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterse

Reaction score
Hey, super noob here. This may be a dumb question, but I am looking to get a new carboy or 2 and I was looking at the better boy plastics as my glass one is killing my back. They run about 25 bucks, but my local grocery store has bottled water in 5 gal carboy type bottles for $12 and that includes the water. Is there some reason these would not suffice as a carboy?

A 5 gallon water bottle won't have enough head space for a 5 gallon batch so that would be a problem.

Also, make sure you look at the recycling symbol on the bottle. If it's not a "1", I'd stay away from it.

Not to be rude, but check out the search function on the top of the page. Question is brought up almost weekly. Search terms I'd try are PET, PETE, plastic, better bottle.

Welcome to the Forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but do a little search to see what you can come up with before asking one. When you have exhausted the search feature....Start with a new thread. We will be more than happy to answer your questions to the very best of our knowledge.

Here is Revvy's response to the last 3 or 4 times this was asked.

Nutshell. PET jugs will work. Not all of them jugs are PET though, so look for a "1" on the bottom. If it's not a 1, dont' use it. Better Bottles are a great alternative to glass, and many would say they are the first choice.

If you use plastic carboy, then be very careful about scratching them. They scratch easy and the scratches can harbour germs.

Wow, as many forums as I post on regularly and I trip the do a search switch. Geez what a noob :eek:

Well, thanks for the replies, now we wil have one more hit when a search is done. :)

Take a read of this too (I know BK posted my list on links,) but the other day I wrote an answer on a similar thread that is a slightly different take on the "don't use water bottle" advice you are mostly getting....I think a lot of that advice is getting out dated, and may no longer be accurate....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=774846&postcount=11

Back