Carboy Question????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are used primarily for building model ships in.

I store wort in mine though. I take it out when its beer.

Well, do you have a 5 gallon carboy or a 6.5 gallon carboy, and do you have an ale pail bucket? Usually, I do the fermentation in the bucket, and then rack (siphon) the finished beer into the carboy for clearing and aging. BUT, many people use only carboys- they use them for clearing tanks as well as fermentation vessels. So, I guess I have to turn your question into a question- what do you already have and what procedure are you planning on using? (Well I guess that's two questions!)

And, welcome to HBT! :mug:

I have a fermenting bucket and a 5 gallon glass carboy. I also have a bottling bucket. my last batch came out great, with just the buckets. I received the carboys as a gift and was planning to use it with my new brew. However my carboy doesn't have a cap and my concern is when I transfer the wort to the carboy does it need to be air tight and kept in the carboy for a period of time?? Or do I just transfer the beer to the carboy during the introduction of the priming sugar and then bottle??

I have a fermenting bucket and a 5 gallon glass carboy. I also have a bottling bucket. my last batch came out great, with just the buckets. I received the carboys as a gift and was planning to use it with my new brew. However my carboy doesn't have a cap and my concern is when I transfer the wort to the carboy does it need to be air tight and kept in the carboy for a period of time?? Or do I just transfer the beer to the carboy during the introduction of the priming sugar and then bottle??

The carboy should have a bung with a drilled hole for an airlock. It should be always covered with the bung and airlock when beer is in it. I wouldn't bottle from the carboy- that's a real pain. It's easiest to bottle from the bottling bucket.

A 5 gallon carboy is meant to be a clearing ("secondary") tank. I love mine, and use it fairly often. What you do is use the 1-2-3 method in that case- 1 week in primary (the bucket), then rack into the carboy with siphon tubing and leave for 2 weeks, the rack into the bottling bucket and bottle from there. You'll find that while in the carboy, the beer will clear and much of the sediment and yeast will drop to the bottom. you can leave it longer than 2 weeks, of course- that 1-2-3 thing is just a general guideline.

You're the man!!!!! Thats exactly the answer I was looking for!!!!!! I'll let you know how it comes out!!

Back