carboy dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
I just scored a little (6cu') chest freezer to use for lager fermentation. The bad news is that it will only hold one of my 6 gal carboys. Two will just barely not fit with the hump. I don't want to brew 5 gals. of lager at a time, and I don't want to use a bucket for the second 5 gals. I read the better bottles dimensions are 12" wide for the 6 gal. Is this true? This is much wider than my glass. I assumed they would be less thick than my glass. Maybe they are more squat. Can I pound the curved compressor hump a little? I just need like an inch and a half. Any help with these two questions is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't pound on the hump, unless you can take a cover and look to see what is exactly under there. I know that some you can, but if you kink or break a line your freezer is useless.

Look inside the cutout on the back where the compressor is. You may have 1-2" of play. I'd remove the compressor first, before I start whackin' on the hump with a mallet.

Not to start a plastic vs. glass debate, but im sure you could fit a 10G plastic ferementor in there. Or maybe even a stainless conical. but for that price you could get 2 more chest freezers :cross:

Back