Carboy Covers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
The blue covers that the commercial water distributors provide for the water coolers make excellent 5 gallon carboy covers. Just cut a hole in the top for your airlock. The flap lets you peek inside without taking the whole thing off. They had these at the place I work, but nobody seems to put them on the jugs, so..................They are now put to good use protecting my brew from light. If you use them in a water bath, they're better than a t-shirt for keeping the carboy cool. I only wish that Zephyrhills Water would come out with a 6 and a 6.5 gallon bottle so I can finish my collection. BTW, I use Zephyrhills spring water, so I guess this is legit.

IMG_0049.jpg

How expensive are these, I've never seen them before? I'm currently brewing my first beer and am using a heavy duty contractor bag as a shield is that acceptable? The style is English Brown so, the darkness should help a wee bit right??? Also, it's in my dinning room which doesn't see much sunlight.

Great use for them!
I use black Tee shirts and a safety pin.

LOL! I have my daughters Black T and a safety pin on my barleywine right now! (It's only 2.5 gallons, so my shirt would have been too big)

I may just MAKE a cover like that and have my name embroidered on it! Great idea!

How expensive are these, I've never seen them before? I'm currently brewing my first beer and am using a heavy duty contractor bag as a shield is that acceptable? The style is English Brown so, the darkness should help a wee bit right??? Also, it's in my dinning room which doesn't see much sunlight.

Well, these didn't cost me anything.............They're intended to keep light out of the water bottle. I was told that they protect the water from growing undesirable things. But I think mostly they are used for aesthetic reasons, and to protect the bottles from dust and dirt. There are ads on the internet for custom water cooler covers, but these are as expensive as the carboy jackets and don't have the specific design features for a carboy. If your company or place of work has commercially delivered water, look around for the covers. Or when you see the delivery guy, ask him for a couple. He may just think that they're for the office coolers. They're only made for 5 gallon bottles. T-shirts work great because everyone has old t-shirts and they're free. So if you can't scrounge the covers from work, don't bother paying for any.

Another option is a boat canvas shop. Take your carboy in an see how much to make them. You could even get your brewery name on them if you got the jack.

Back