Carboy Cover - safe way to transport?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xCSx

Reaction score
http://www.carboy.net/store/pc/The-All-in-One-Carboy-Cover-p2.htm

Has anyone tried these?

I like the idea of this better than the brewhauler because if the glass shatters while you are holding it - it is contained. Has anyone used one of these?

When moving around 5 or 6 gallon carboys - it is quite scary that a shard can go right into my artery and I could die of bleeding out if it cracked...

http://www.carboy.net/store/pc/The-All-in-One-Carboy-Cover-p2.htm

Has anyone tried these?

I like the idea of this better than the brewhauler because if the glass shatters while you are holding it - it is contained. Has anyone used one of these?

When moving around 5 or 6 gallon carboys - it is quite scary that a shard can go right into my artery and I could die of bleeding out if it cracked...

An even safer option - NO GLASS CARBOYS!

But if you feel you have to use glass carboys that is probably the only way I would move one...

An even safer option - NO GLASS CARBOYS!

But if you feel you have to use glass carboys that is probably the only way I would move one...

I'm already invested in my carboys!
1 x 6.5
1 x 6
1 x 5
2 x 3
3 x 1

Does anyone have experience with these? I am considering to buy the largest one and use it even on smaller ones? Hopefully I don't need to buy multiple sizes...

Also has anyone had an empty carboy shatter? I don't want to be too careful here.

The Brewhaulers are pretty safe, as long as you strap them down tightly and spread out the vertical supports evenly, so the carboy doesn't slip out. If used or stored wet or damp, the stitchings will (quickly) rot out and it will fall apart at the most inopportune moment without warning.

For the difference in price these "carboy bags" have a lot, lot more to offer!

Now would you leave that bag on, as is, in your fermentation chamber or drop the pants?

I still use glass carboys, but only for long term aging, mostly sours. The few times they need handling I do it very carefully, but there's always a glooming risk.

The Brewhaulers are pretty safe, as long as you strap them down tightly and spread out the vertical supports evenly, so the carboy doesn't slip out. If used or stored wet or damp, the stitchings will (quickly) rot out and it will fall apart at the most inopportune moment without warning.

For the difference in price these "carboy bags" have a lot, lot more to offer!

Now would you leave that bag on, as is, in your fermentation chamber or drop the pants?

I still use glass carboys, but only for long term aging, mostly sours. The few times they need handling I do it very carefully, but there's always a glooming risk.
I think I would leave it on unless i needed it for another carboy.

Overall I feel like I need these right away as I don't want an accident to happen.

When the carboy remains "dressed," the bag is a form of insulation, so inside the ferm chamber your beer may longer retain the heat generated by fermentation.
Dropping the pants allows the carboy to be more directly exposed to the cooler ferm chamber temps, perhaps keeping it closer to the intended ferm temps. The difference maybe marginal in the end, but perhaps worth a test with a thin towel or a similarly woven material.

I switched to using buckets for all routine fermentations after seeing the maiming carboy accidents. At the LHBS a 6.5 gallon bucket with a grommeted lid runs me $16, comes with a decent handle, and is easy to clean and sanitize. Far less than the price of a carboy and less than a jacket or even a Brewhauler nowadays. Mind you, I do have a CO2 tank for flushing bucket headspaces, when needed, and pre-purging kegs to minimize oxidation during racking etc.

I think the jacket will help prevent potential serious injury while moving (full) carboys, but they will remain awkward objects. When lifting or moving, using 2 people is probably best. Big glass vessels like carboys remain a dangerous entity when handled, anytime.

You could probably get away with 1 or 2 jackets of different size that fit your most used carboys the best. Strip the carboy when you need to use it for hauling another one. Don't let them remain wet, the stitchings may suffer.

Back