carboy blew off while on vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
While I was out of town for a few days, my carboy must have blown a little out of the top. I am using a 6 gal better bottle for a british ipa with nottingham yeast. I have a standard 3 piece airlock in a number 10 stopped. When I came home the airlockonly had about a quater of it filled up and you can tlel that the fermenting wort had mixed it when it blew out of the top. The tope of the airlock with the little holes had dried krausen (or whatever it is at that point) on it and a little bit on the carboy. It does not look as if it exploded os much that it driopped all over the carboy and the foor and everything around it was clean. I took out the airlock, cleaned it, re sanitized it and filled it up halfway w/ star san like I did in the beginning. So what does everyopne think? Will this batch turn out ok or should I just rdwhahb?

Absolutely... you're good to go. I had one do that on me too... just had too much activity for that little airlock to handle.

Yup, RDWHAHB..... Your carboy is just letting you know that the beer will be strong. Tonight, sleep next to your beer and tell it that you're thankful for all of the hard work it has done. Just sayin' :D

Best of luck with your beer. Cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back