Carboy as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
I am wanting to use a 6.5 gal carboy as my primary to do a 5 gal batch. Is there any disadvantages to doing this as a primary?

Revvy said:
No that's typically the purpose of a 6 or a 6.5 gallon carboy, as a fermenter.

Thanks. I have only done 2 brews so I am still a newbie. I like the carboys so I can see what's going on.

Be very careful with that carboy (assuming it's glass.) Don't use a carboy handle, if you have one, to move it when full. Those are meant for use only when the carboy is empty. We don't want to hear about your injuries when the thing breaks.

That said. I use Better Bottles for primary and also have a bucket. I prefer the BB, it is like a glass carboy in that I can see what is going on inside without opening the vessel.

Good luck. I bet you will make a very good beer.

lots of disadvantages, they're heavy, difficult to move bc of shape unless you buy the handle, difficult to clean and sanitize (all relative to a 6G bucket).

Only advantages i see is you can see the beer fermenting, glass is a better conductor than plastic so easier to cool down.

IMO, use a bucket for primary, the carboy for secondary.

lots of disadvantages, they're heavy, difficult to move bc of shape unless you buy the handle, difficult to clean and sanitize (all relative to a 6G bucket).

As I stated previously, DO NOT move a full carboy with the handle. You will snap the neck off the carboy eventually!

P.S. as in a previous post. Always start your fermentation with a blowoff tube. You may not need it at all but it sure beats washing krausen off your ceiling!:D

Weird. My local shop told me there is nothing wrong with doing it in the carboy nor are there any real disadvantages.

giving you either positive or negative advice i gain nothing, brew store doing the same means potential $. Not all places are like that, just gotta know when to call BS.

i assumed people understood it being empty when moving it by the handle... who on earth would try moving nearly 50 lbs by that handle?

The same guy who pours boiling wort into one. We all do dumb things now and then. I don't trust the handle on an empty carboy.

To the OP other than possible breakage, weight and a small opening not much. I like to track the krausen formation in my notes so I know which yeasts tend to form fast and large and which start slow and remain low. Makes it a little safer on judging head space needed for something such as Wyeast Kolsch vs Wyeast Scottish ale.

EDIT

That being said glass, if taken care of right will last a long time and it doesn't harbor and smells from previous batches.

I figure 1.5 gal is plenty of headspace, worse case I can use a blow off. Also, I don't plan on moving the carboy. My primary stays put the whole time.

I Exclusively use BB 6 gallon's now to ferment my 5 gallon batches. I run blow off tubes from a stopper into a 1.5L wine bottle filled with a bit of water.

I gave up my last glass carboy last year because I just didn't want the risk of glass since my fermenting area is a concrete floored basement.

If I'm doing a 10 gallon batch I use my plastic conical (search threads here -- they're dirt cheap)

One of the things I love about the BB is how light it is when empty. I can just toss the spares up on the highest shelf in the basement and not worry about knocking one down with a broomstick or something when I need another one.

I figure 1.5 gal is plenty of headspace, worse case I can use a blow off. Also, I don't plan on moving the carboy. My primary stays put the whole time.

You are right on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a glass carboy as a fermentor.

This is the age old argument glass vs plastic vs stainless steel. It's simply personal preference. Anyone that says one is better than the other is using a personal opinion based on what works best for them.

Decide what works best for you and run with it.

You are right on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a glass carboy as a fermentor.

Decide what works best for you and run with it.

Exactly -- To the OP: I didn't mean to lead on that plastic was better only that I've switched due to personal preferences. I've used all three and to be honest I can't tell a darn bit of difference in the beer and don't think there is one. It's all about me not wanting to fuddle with something that will shatter like a claymore mine when I accidentally drop it :p

All have advantages and disadvantages. I prefer buckets. The light doesn't affect them as much as a clear vessel, they are easier to clean, and since I can't see what going on, I tend to just leave it alone and not mess with it. But like the previous post, that is my personal preference and what works for me. Your results may vary.

Are planning to put the carboy on a high shelf to set it up to rack to bottling bucket and pump the wort up to it or do you plan on leaving it low so you can just pour the wort in and then pump it out to the bottling bucket? Any other way would seem like you have to move it and that move would be while it is full.:confused:

Weird. My local shop told me there is nothing wrong with doing it in the carboy nor are there any real disadvantages.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all types of fermenters, but they're preferencial ones, not ones that affect the finished product (a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.) None of them are better than any other, it's really just about what we like to use.

There's a bunch of bs about glass vs plastic, carboys vs buckets,yadda yadda yadda, most of those are just so much noise, the yeast doesn't care what it's doing it's thing in.

But there's many personal reasons that folks like whatever they use.

Some folks like the handles of buckets, some folks hate the tight lids on buckets.

A lot of folks, myself included are hesitent to use 6.5 gallon GLASS carboys, but don't have problems using plastic ones. There is stories on here about serious injuries and even deaths from big glass carboys, so that becomes a deciding factor in whether some folks want to use them.

Some folks love better bottles, some folks hate the flexiness of them...

I have one 5 gallon glass carboy I bulk age in, but I don't use it for much, because I've already hit it on the counter a few times and consider myself lucky, so except for a couple 1 gallon glass wine jugs for tiny batches, everything else I use is plastic, both carboys and buckets, and for those- buckets vs carboys I don't really care. I have 12 fermenters and just grab what is empty.

Those things really only matter to the brewer. Ultimately your going to have to figure out what you like.

Get a 30L sanke and ferment in that. Get the Stainless and avoid the gremlins that live in glass and plastic, If you do go with the glass or plastic DO NOT FEED THEM AFTER MIDNIGHT!

Since 1996, I have never used a blow-off a tube in a 6.5-gallon carboy.

I've never had a mess, except one time... in the very-beginning when I filled it with more than 5-gallons.

I'd recommend looking into getting a Brew Hauler for moving the carboy around when it's full. It will make life much easier when it comes time transfer it...

I typically use glass because I find it easier to clean and I trust my sanitation in glass better (purely personal preference and I have never had sanitation problems in plastic either). A couple things thouth... I NEVER move a full carboy without a carboy hauler (or Brew Hauler) and I ALWAYS have a soft pad of some sort between a glass carboy and a concrete floor.

I have used 6.5 gallon glass carboys exclusively for years. I move them full if I need to without a hauler. I always use a blow off cause if I don't it WILL blow the airlock off. Glass is great but be very careful and don't try to move them around if you're drunk. Don't rest the side on the edge of a sink to empty sanitizer etc.

Back