Quantcast

Carbonator for Growler bottle/cap?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DickDastardly

Reaction score
I am trying to see if anyone makes a carbonator cap to help keep the beer from going flat once opened, that will fit a growler bottle?

If not, do you know of other simple options for keeping the brew fresh longer after opening a growler?

mtnbikerbrewer

Reaction score
Keeping it cold is about the best way to keep a growler tasting better longer, otherwise growlers aren't not meant for long term serving once opened. Also, I usually don't recommend putting homebrew in growlers when bottle conditioning. I have had (and witnessed) several growlers explode. They will hold the pressure of a carbonated beer just fine (like off the tap), but when you put a beer in a growler then try to increase the pressure by carbonating, I have found a high failure rate. Potentially dangerous and messy in my opinion.

thelorax121

Reaction score
You could potentially make a DIY carbonator cap with those plastic growler caps. I made a few for plastic bottles with some replacement tire valves (screw type from advance autoparts) and an air chuck attached to my co2 utility line. Just drill a small hole in the cap, insert ans screw in the valve. The only difficulties I could see would be the inablitiy to purge the co2 before hitting it with the co2, and as mtnbiker said, the potential for growler explosion under the increased pressure