Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs1229

Reaction score
I’m having serious issues, I made a lovely Pilsner and legged it in 19l corny keg, tried fast and slow carbonation methods, getting tons of foam but none of the Co2 is being absorbed into the beer, on gas for a week and it’s still flat not even a little sparkling

I’m having serious issues, I made a lovely Pilsner and legged it in 19l corny keg, tried fast and slow carbonation methods, getting tons of foam but none of the Co2 is being absorbed into the beer, on gas for a week and it’s still flat not even a little sparkling
“Tons of foam” sounds like more of a dispensing problem to me. Could you describe your setup? (Line length, liquid line ID, beer temperature and regulator pressure)

“Tons of foam” sounds like more of a dispensing problem to me. Could you describe your setup? (Line length, liquid line ID, beer temperature and regulator pressure)
Agreed. Probably too short of a dispensing line or too small ID for the set pressure.

Originally tried one of the taps that fit on the keg suspected it might be the problem but then added picnic tap with 10 ft of line,still all foam and flat beer

Yes it’s been chilling nicely for a week, 3/8” beer line at about 2.5 m in length

Followed some other advice degassing the keg then rocking (repeated a few times) managed to get a semi decent pour however the beer has zero carbonation

Yes it’s been chilling nicely for a week, 3/8” beer line at about 2.5 m in length

Followed some other advice degassing the keg then rocking (repeated a few times) managed to get a semi decent pour however the beer has zero carbonation
The fact that you got foam means the beer had carbonation. Are you perhaps confusing carbonation with heading and head retention? Heading can be lost by residue of soap or detergent on any vessel used in making and drinking beer. The most common problem is in the glassware used for serving. Often glasses are washed in a dishwasher with an anti-spotting agent to keep glasses from drying with water spots. This anti-spotting agent is a detergent and will kill the heading on beer.

Stop rocking the keg. Under pressure, it'll probably absorb more CO2 and become even more gassy.

I'd pull the PRV on the keg till the pressure it all gone, then let it sit overnight, at least, preferably 48 hours to "stabilize". Then connect a beer line and see what happens if you serve.

The foaming in the glass is CO2 being released - which in turn results in a flat beer once it settles.

EDIT: Ok, a bit more. I also fell for the "rocking the keg" thing when I started kegging. In a pinch, I'd admit, it will work, but I've always found the carbonation to be crude, with large bubbles that hate being where they are, and the resulting beer picks up a sour carbonic acid flavour (like soda water) that I'm not a fan of. I did it a few times and since then I've just started pressurizing the kegs soon enough - in other words - a week before I want to drink them. I literally set them to serving pressure for a week and by the time I want to drink them I just connect the coupler/disconnect and the carbonation is fine, with good serving.

3/8” beer line at about 2.5 m in length
My emphasis.^
If 3/8" is the ID of the line, the bore is waaay too wide. It doesn't give enough restriction to keep the beer carbonated by the time it reaches the faucet.
Try 3/16" ID (vinyl) line at 4 meter length.

Or better yet, 1.5-3 meter of 4mm ID EVA Barrier line, but you'll need the special push-fit adapters too, etc.
For reference, this is what I'm talking about:
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...ystem/532-EVABarrier-Beer-Tubing-39-foot-roll

My emphasis.^
If 3/8" is the ID of the line, the bore is waaay too wide. It doesn't give enough restriction to keep the beer carbonated by the time it reaches the faucet.

Or better yet, 1.5-3 meter of 4mm ID EVA Barrier line, but you'll need the special push-fit adapters too, etc.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...ystem/532-EVABarrier-Beer-Tubing-39-foot-roll
It's more cost and additional equipment (however not much) but this was a game changer for me. Highly suggestive you give this setup a try!

Stop rocking the keg. Under pressure, it'll probably absorb more CO2 and become even more gassy.

I'd pull the PRV on the keg till the pressure it all gone, then let it sit overnight, at least, preferably 48 hours to "stabilize". Then connect a beer line and see what happens if you serve.

The foaming in the glass is CO2 being released - which in turn results in a flat beer once it settles.
Thanks, it’s my own fault for trying to rush things, watching multiple you tube videos and trying fixes instead of leaving it alone to carbonate slowly, impatience the ruin of many a brew I reck
My emphasis.^

It's more cost and additional equipment (however not much) but this
Ok thanks,
My emphasis.^

ok thanks, I’m in Thailand where up until a few months ago homebrew it was illegal still so equipment isn’t as readily available, I went with this size pipe as it’s what they had connections to fit, however just contacted the shop and they have 5/16 5mm I’d Eva bonded tubing and have just got the connections to fit back in stock, will give them a go but I’ll wait until next week as want to build a keezer as mrs won’t keep calm about me hogging the fridge with beer kegs

Back