Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, so I just finished my second batch ever, in my spike brewing conical. Yes I decided to upgrade from buckets to a conical that quick haha. Anyways, so I did everything how I was supposed to, I forced crashed my wort so I could force carbonate. I forced carbonated for 12hrs and when I did an open transfer to my keg, there was clear beer but at the end at the top there was quite a bit of foam. Can anyone tell me where I possibly messed up? Or can I try to carbonate again in my keg? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response! Is there anyway that I might be able to save what I had already transferred to my keg?
I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it except maybe some oxygen ingress, just seal up the keg, bring to serving temp, set to serving pressure, then try it out. If it seems under carbed, let it sit at serving pressure for a few days, or briefly turn the gas up higher.

If you stopped transferring when the foam reached the top, you probably have a less than full keg. If you still have beer in your fermenter, keep transferring to fill the keg as much as possible. You will make a big mess with all the foam, but call it a learning experience.

I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it except maybe some oxygen ingress, just seal up the keg, bring to serving temp, set to serving pressure, then try it out. If it seems under carbed, let it sit at serving pressure for a few days, or briefly turn the gas up higher.

If you stopped transferring when the foam reached the top, you probably have a less than full keg. If you still have beer in your fermenter, keep transferring to fill the keg as much as possible. You will make a big mess with all the foam, but call it a learning experience.
I appreciate this info and link you attached. Definitely helpful and most definitely a good learning experience.

I love it. I really looked into both Spike and SS Brewtech before making my final decision and going with the CF 10 Conical from spike. Originally I was going to purchase their Flex plus, but not having the ability to dump yeast is what pushed me to their conicals. Their kettles caught my attention too so I will definitely be purchasing one here soon. I really like how Spike will give you the ability to send back their kettles and add additional ports for your needs.

Back