Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About two months ago we brewed our first ever lager. We had been doing ales for a good year and never had a single issue. I bottled my new lager one week ago. Just for the hell of it I chilled and popped one today to get an early hint. It tastes delicious, but there is minimal to no carbonation. I did two 5 gallon batches and marked each batch separately in case one batch was bad I could differentiate the two batches. is it possible I will get better carbonation after waiting the two weeks I really should have before I open the next bottle? I am also wondering if I accidentally used both corn sugar solutions in one batch and mistakenly forgot to put it in the other batch. I put a to of effort into my first lager, so I am really hoping I didn’t forget to carbonate one and over carbonated the other. Any thoughts? Thanks

About two months ago we brewed our first ever lager. We had been doing ales for a good year and never had a single issue. I bottled my new lager one week ago. Just for the hell of it I chilled and popped one today to get an early hint. It tastes delicious, but there is minimal to no carbonation. I did two 5 gallon batches and marked each batch separately in case one batch was bad I could differentiate the two batches. is it possible I will get better carbonation after waiting the two weeks I really should have before I open the next bottle? I am also wondering if I accidentally used both corn sugar solutions in one batch and mistakenly forgot to put it in the other batch. I put a to of effort into my first lager, so I am really hoping I didn’t forget to carbonate one and over carbonated the other. Any thoughts? Thanks
You keep it at room temperature, you wait two weeks longer, you try again, you know more!

Just for safety reasons, open one bottle from the other batch. If this bottle confirms that you used all the sugar on one batch, than you must take safety measures to make sure those bottles won't explode and hurt people.

I just opened a bottle of rom the other batch. It’s carbonated just fine. I don’t think it’s any more carbonated than any usual batch I do. I’m gonna sit tight for another week or two and see if anything changes from either batch. But I don’t get a sense that I over carbonated the second, which means that something weird is up with the first batch.

I just opened a bottle of rom the other batch. It’s carbonated just fine. I don’t think it’s any more carbonated than any usual batch I do. I’m gonna sit tight for another week or two and see if anything changes from either batch. But I don’t get a sense that I over carbonated the second, which means that something weird is up with the first batch.
It's not weird, it was just less yeast in the bottle you opened, so it takes longer to digest the sugar.

But on the other hand, if you really should have put double the amount of priming sugar in one batch and none into the other, then it would also look like it is atm. So keep it monitored. If the first batch does not develop more carbonation with time, then you might have a problem with the second one, meaning possible bottle bombs.

Back