carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manbrandon28

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to carbanate my mead, im open for suggestions, the 2/3 pf a cup for 5 gallon thing did not do much for me las go around so any suggestions please explain your process please..................cheers more beers.:mug:

I use the easy method shared here... http://www.brewerylane.com/champagne.htm

Could you share your technique so we can troubleshoot? We will need to know the start date of your mead, yeast used, OG, FG, date you bottled and initiated carbing, any additives used, racking dates, etc.

i used 15 lbs of clover honey
about 4 ish gallons of spring water to = 5 gallons of must
2.5 tsp of nutrient
2.5 tsp of energizer
1 packet of lavalin d-47

I did not get a og by my dumbassness ha ha but 12 days in when i racked it into secondary i had a 1.020 gravity reading, and it tasted hot but good flavor for being so young. It is in secondary now where i pretty much leave it untill it is completley done and settled and for the most part cleared up, but when the time comes to bottle and carbonate i was just lookin for some detailed advice because when i did the 2/3 cup of table sugar boiled than cooled and mixed into my 5 gallon carboy and bottled i got very little carbanation if any it still was good mead but i like it carbonated. I have not added any ginger, any juice, any raisins ect, just honey,water,yeast,nutrient and enerigizer. thanks for your time.:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank:

i used 15 lbs of clover honey
about 4 ish gallons of spring water to = 5 gallons of must
2.5 tsp of nutrient
2.5 tsp of energizer
1 packet of lavalin d-47

I did not get a og by my dumbassness ha ha but 12 days in when i racked it into secondary i had a 1.020 gravity reading, and it tasted hot but good flavor for being so young. It is in secondary now where i pretty much leave it untill it is completley done and settled and for the most part cleared up, but when the time comes to bottle and carbonate i was just lookin for some detailed advice because when i did the 2/3 cup of table sugar boiled than cooled and mixed into my 5 gallon carboy and bottled i got very little carbanation if any it still was good mead but i like it carbonated. I have not added any ginger, any juice, any raisins ect, just honey,water,yeast,nutrient and enerigizer. thanks for your time.:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank::tank:

You have a drink that's at the max alcohol tolerance of the yeast, about 14 percent...it may not even ferment completely dry.

Putting in more sugar is only going to make it sweeter...and your chance of getting a stronger yeast to ferment in that environment is probably impossible...but I've never tried.

In your current situation I think force carbonation in a keg is your only option.

Hmm, since you are more than likely sitting around 14% ACV you are close to threshold with your chosen yeast, plus it is hard to achieve bottle carb of anything greater than 12%, based on everything I have read. You could TRY a sample in a PET bottle and see what happens. Other than that, force carbing is the only alternative.

Let's see what others think. I really do not know if you combined perhaps K1V with your priming sugar if that yeast could overcome the current ACV and achieve carbonation.

You have a drink that's at the max alcohol tolerance of the yeast, about 14 percent...it may not even ferment completely dry.

Putting in more sugar is only going to make it sweeter...and your chance of getting a stronger yeast to ferment in that environment is probably impossible...but I've never tried.

In your current situation I think force carbonation in a keg is your only

I see what your saying ive read i could just bottle it at 1.020 so it would kinda carbonate from the last of the sugar fermenting but i think it would most likely work at first but then months later ofter ageing in a room temp area it would start popping corks or breaking glass. I might try to bottle one bottle as it is and let the rest of the carboy do its thing over time. thanks have a good one.

Yeah you can, but you're mead may finish above 1 and the result may not be very carbonated...but if your reading is spot on, you adjust for temp and bottle at the correct gravity you can be successful. I'd be inclined to spend 250 on a keg, regulators hoses and co2.

Back