Carbonation Tabs = Newb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richo

Reaction score
So i was wondering if anyone filters their beer and then uses Carbonation Tabs in the bottles. I have a few friends that don't like the sediment in the bottles, so I was going to filter it to clear it up and still put it in bottles. I dont have a kegging set up yet so force carbonating is out. Normally I'd tell them to go buy their beer at the store if they don't like the sediment, but they love the tast so I figured I try it.:confused:

Well, the carbonation tabs do work but not quite in the way you describe. The carb tabs are a mixture of extract and dextrose, so you add them at bottling just like you would add priming sugar. You must have the yeast to bottle carbonate it, since that is what causes the carbonation. There is a mini-fermentation in the bottle, and that does leave yeast sediment. So, if you filter, and try to bottle carbonate, it won't work. Your beer will be flat. If you add yeast at bottling so you can bottle carbonate, then you'll have sediment in the bottle.

One thing you can do to reduce the sediment is to use a clearing tank after primary fermentation is over. That does help with the amount of sediment. I have very little in my bottles. The other thing you can do is use a very flocculant yeast- it will compact well in the bottom of the bottle and so it "sticks" in the bottle than others.

ahhh ok, I guess they will just have to deal. I don't mind it at all. Right now I go from my primary to my secondary glass carboy. Is a second transfer to another glass carboy benificial or will that thin the yeast too much?

Richo said:
ahhh ok, I guess they will just have to deal. I don't mind it at all. Right now I go from my primary to my secondary glass carboy. Is a second transfer to another glass carboy benificial or will that thin the yeast too much?

The secondary glass carboy is the clearing tank- no real fermentation takes place there, so it's called a "bright tank" or clearing tank. You won't transfer again. A good thing to do might be to leave the beer for about 10 days to 2 weeks in the fermenter, than rack to your carboy for 4 weeks or so. Then rack carefully from above the yeast sediment. And choose a flocculant yeast.

your other option is to filter the beer, keg it, force carb, then use a beer gun to bottle the already carb'd beer.

that's how many commercial breweries produce carb'd beer and zero sediment.

I don't feel its worth the effort. Honestly it sounds like your friends need to to learn how to pour a beer into a glass. Then sediment isnt' a problem. if they're trying to drink it from the bottle, slap them upside the head.

Honestly it sounds like your friends need to to learn how to pour a beer into a glass. Then sediment isnt' a problem. if they're trying to drink it from the bottle, slap them upside the head.

Exactly!! Teach them the correct way to pour a homebrew!

mrk305 said:
Honestly it sounds like your friends need to to learn how to pour a beer into a glass. Then sediment isnt' a problem. if they're trying to drink it from the bottle, slap them upside the head.

Exactly!! Teach them the correct way to pour a homebrew!

Dang straight. That's it exactly. Pour it right or go drink the beer brewed through a horse. The yeasties contain anti hang over properties too. Sell it that way.

You all right, I don't mind the sedi at all. It's actually good for you. Telling them that always gets me a crooked look. I'll shoot that anti hangover on them. They will shake the bottle dry for that.

Ya, I read that some German beer houses serve their beer "mit hefe" or "with yeast". I never encountered that when I was there, but it's what I've heard. Good nutrition. Maybe not so good for the gas. I bottle carb and always just pour into a glass. The neck of the bottle helps keep the sediment out when you're at the end of the pour. The only way I think you could get what you're looking for is through force carbing in a keg.

Back