Carbonation stone cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy!

Been on a bit of a 5 year hiatus in homebrewing. Life has been busy!
My first two brews this year had some wild issues because its been so long since I brewed! Still pretty good thankfully, that I can enjoy them though.

Getting back into the swing of things, I had some question about one of my last pieces of equipment to acquire. I bought a carbonation stone to use in my unitank fermenter. I got it at glacier tanks. The link to a similar product is: https://www.glaciertanks.com/tank-carbonation-stones-cbst-400.html. When I called to ask them how to clean, they referred me to the PDF online at the link I shared. I didn't really cover cleaning however.

So my question is, and I already called them to ask, how to clean? They referred me to their document. It tells you everything NOT to do, but does NOT address how to actually CLEAN the thing!

I've used it like two or three times so far. I installed some fittings so as to prevent wort from entering the stone in reverse while fermenting, and also to introduce O2 prior to pitching yeast, and also to carbonate after primary. This included a small SS shut off valve and short pipe nipples to connect to the stone. I think that the CO2 carbonation is a bit of a bad idea, because the only one time I tried it, the beer over foamed when I transferred to the keg, and left a lot of dead space, and still needed several days to carbonate to proper levels anyway - maybe I was doing it all wrong. I don't really know. Primarily will be used to introduce oxygen into the wort prior to pitching, and maybe later with some more experience, to carbonate in the unitank.

Main purpose for this thread is to ask, how do I clean the thing without damaging it?

It seems in good condition having used it about twice since I bought it in 2015 (like I said I have been on hiatus!)

After fermentation is complete I remove it without handling the porous part and rinse and spray rinse in the sink. Then I leave to dry. To Sanitize it, I took to work where I have access to an autoclave. Each time I've done this, which has been twice so far, the processing bag has leaked wort-like fluid from inside the stone into the bag even though I thought it had been thoroughly cleaned and dried. I suspect the autoclave process sanitizes even the unclean stone, but ideally would want both a fully sanitized AND clean stone!

Wondering if there are any folks here who know how to clean these suckers without damaging them! The PDF says don't soak overnight, particularly in plain water. I'm wondering about PBW though? I am also wondering about using a sump pump to reverse pump PBW water through the stone, but worry about too much pressure. Maybe could use CO2 in reverse first I blow dry the stone then soak for an hour and then repeat?

I'm really just grabbing at straws here and want to know the real way its done.

Thanks!
TD

I've ruined a stone with PBW. It can leave a mineral deposit that clogs the pores, such that no acid rinse can sufficiently penetrate and remove it.

For both cleaning and sanitizing stones, I use a good long soak in iodophor. This is an excellent cleaner, working like its halogen cousin, bleach, to dissolve organic material, but safe for stainless.

Well thank you for that! I had always thought iodophor was a sanitizer, not a cleanser. I want to see how I can get the stone clean before I process it in the autoclave (basically a fancy pressure cooker) so no wort remnants leak into the processing bag. I'll post a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. You can smell the wort through the processing bag too, so I know its not rust or something else, on the last scottish ale brew I made. I will avoid soaking in PBW for sure! Thinking maybe a distilled water back flush with pump. Possibly a PBW back wash followed by a distilled water rinse afterward. Maybe safer to stick to DW. Thanks again for your response. Will post photo tomorrow ... time for bed!

TD

Last fall I refreshed my .5u carbonation wand by filling it with white vinegar, leaving it suspended vertically (stone down) overnight, then flushing it out with DI water and giving it a good blow-out with gas. I've had that wand since Williams first offered them years ago and had recently noticed it wasn't as vigorous.

Tried boiling it first but that didn't help - even with vinegar added to the boil. Needed to get at it from the inside :)

Cheers!

If you can rig up a way to backflush, that should surely help the cause.

Yup. I inserted a standard 1/4" flare fitting in the line so I could hook the wand up to my compressor after filling the tubing using a big syringe (amazing how useful those can be if you have them handy).

It took some pressure to drive the vinegar into the stone and I could see most of the stone wasn't passing the fluid. But after letting it hang full overnight, the next day I could see the full surface was passing the vinegar uniformly and at lower pressure (obviously much less restriction).

If one can manage it I highly recommend the process. Just make sure the compressor tank isn't loaded with liquid crud lest it end up inside the wand...

Cheers!

Last fall I refreshed my .5u carbonation wand by filling it with white vinegar, leaving it suspended vertically (stone down) overnight, then flushing it out with DI water and giving it a good blow-out with gas. I've had that wand since Williams first offered them years ago and had recently noticed it wasn't as vigorous.

Tried boiling it first but that didn't help - even with vinegar added to the boil. Needed to get at it from the inside :)

Cheers!
I think I have the same wand! Its been a great one!

The stone I need to clean has a TC fitting on it, so I can hook to a sump pump tube with a TC/hose barb adapter on the end and back flush that way...Maybe could even hook up to sink, but I distrust impurities in my water supply. Plus prices on the stone have doubled over what I originally paid.
For storage, I think I'll air dry, and then re-process in the autoclave bag.
Thanks fellas!
TD

How about an ultra sonic cleaner? You can get a small one for about $100 on eBay. Not saying it would work, just a suggestion.

How about an ultra sonic cleaner? You can get a small one for about $100 on eBay. Not saying it would work, just a suggestion.
I have one for cleaning glasses and jewelry. I'm going to try it next on my carb stone and see if anything nasty comes out of it.

I have one for cleaning glasses and jewelry. I'm going to try it next on my carb stone and see if anything nasty comes out of it.
Please remember to report results. This is an interesting idea.

I've ruined a stone with PBW. It can leave a mineral deposit that clogs the pores, such that no acid rinse can sufficiently penetrate and remove it.

For both cleaning and sanitizing stones, I use a good long soak in iodophor. This is an excellent cleaner, working like its halogen cousin, bleach, to dissolve organic material, but safe for stainless.

I guess I have been lucky. No over complications. After use I clean with 138f water and blow co2. Then soak in PBW for 1-3 minutes and repeat above water soak. Maybe every 4-5 beers carbed then I boil. I spray starsan and store in air. One year, 33 brews and no issues.

I had a LONG chat with Levi at Glacier Tanks today. I contacted them about the cleaning process for my stone. He said PBW is SAFE for the stone. He talked about why common stone failure issues can relate to damage from blocking the 2 micron pores from oils on the hands/skin or physical damage. Some stones are larger pores than mine (5 micron) and may be more durable.
The cleaning process we discussed was short term (20-30 minute) soaks in PBW - WHICH IS SAFE he said! I assume it must be fully DISSOLVED before use. He talked about Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate for cleaning. I don't have this stuff. We also talked about using a ultrasonic cleaner. I happen to own one for cleaning gun parts. Use distilled water to clean the stone and then run food grade CO2 through it to dry it out! Making sure the stone is dry is very important after cleaning....

to sterilize, I take to my office and process in the autoclave (fancy pressure cooker).

TD

Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate is readily available under that designation on Amazon. It is also sold as a phosphate-free TSP substitute, for instance Red Devil TSP/90, familiar from the "homemade PBW" thread. I stand by my testimony from experience that alkaline cleaners can leave pore-clogging deposits. Thanks, nonetheless, for sharing the advice from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I plan to clean with distilled water in the ultrasonic bath cleaner, and dry with CO2 afterward, then sterilize at work in the autoclave, which is convenient because the processing bag becomes a sterile container so its ready to install in the Unitank when I 'm ready to brew next time.

Back