Carbonation stone and aquarium pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdIn

Reaction score
I wonder if anybody use carbonation stone with aquarium pump? Is there enough pressure to push the air through the stone? Last week I bought .5 micron stone and since I could not get O2 tank I got an air pump instead. When I plugged these things together there were no visible effect ts of air going through and the sound of pump working was just as if output was clogged. I ended up using the pump without the stone. But the question is still there, should I get 2 micron stone, should I get better pump or it's better to find and get O2 tank?

Thanks!

You are talking about using the stone for aeration not carbonation right?

I have an aeration stone that I bought from my LHBS. I am not sure how many microns it is, but I use it with good results using an aquarium pump, and an air filter (also do not know how many microns, sorry).

I aerate for 30- 45 min before pitching yeast, but I have heard that this time can be greatly reduced by using pure O2.

If you are interested I can do some research and find out the specs on my stone and filter.

BTW, does anyone know how long those filters are supposed to last before being replaced?

- magno

If you have a Homedepot near you you can get a O2 tank. They have them in with the welding supplies. This is usually in the area they have all the tools, like the drill bits etc. If you ask someone there, dollars to donuts they will say they do not carry them. They are not rockets scientists there. But every store I have been to has them if you look in the right place.

The only problem is that you will need the on/off valve or regulator for it which you probably have to get at a brewshop or some other store.

A 2 micron stone will work fine with an aquarium pump.. I have read that for full oxygenation 20-30 minutes with that pump = 2 minutes with pure O2

make sure you have a sanitary filter in-line when using an aquarium pump in order to avoid pumping airborne spores and bacteria into the wort. You don't have to do this when using an o2 tank.

Kai

0.5 micron for oxygen and 2 micron for air pump. I have all of the above so I played with it a bit. The air pump I have is a 'deep water' pump (puts out a bit more pressure) and it will barely make my 0.5 stone bubble but makes the 2 stone bubble just fine. I used to aerate with the pump for about 30 mins (or until the head space in my carboy was completely full of foam) but after getting the oxygen and doing some reading, I now oxygenate for 60 seconds with the pure oxygen. One minute will be my standard time although if you read around, there are varying times based on the gravity of your wort. These times only vary up to maybe two minutes and considering many people just 'slosh' the beer around to aerate, I will just KISS and do 60 seconds ;)

I live in a smaller town and my Lowes does not carry oxygen bottles. Last time I went to Memphis TN, I picked up two cylinders at a local hardware store. They were about 11 bucks each. From what I have read, each one will last me a year based on 'average' usage. Not really sure how long that is so thats why I got two.

No problems with my pump, filter and stone. I use a timer on the pump so the wort gets aerated for 15 minutes every two hours for the first six hours. This insures good yeast growth. Wyeast aerates continiously, but then, they are growing yeast, not making beer!

Thanks for all your replies. Of course I meant aeration stone instead of carbonation. Sure I have HD and Lowes and since I did not know where to look I asked if they carry O2 tanks. The reply was very convincing NO, go look someplace else. I'll give it another try without asking ;-)

I had the same problem with the aquarium pump. Had to take it back and get the deep water one after realizing that a normal one only worked until a couple inches deep.

AdIn said:
Thanks for all your replies. Of course I meant aeration stone instead of carbonation. Sure I have HD and Lowes and since I did not know where to look I asked if they carry O2 tanks. The reply was very convincing NO, go look someplace else. I'll give it another try without asking ;-)

You can get the oxygen tanks normally at a hardward store like HD or Lowes, or Canadian Tire up here in Canada.

There usually located around the small blue propane tanks, and have the same shape, except they are red.

1826-OX9_sm.jpg

IGOR

Yep, found it. Cost like $8. But it requires a regulator. Northernbrewer sells one with some tubing and stone for $50, sounds kind of high. What are you using?

Back