Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Man

Reaction score
I had my first brewed batch sitting on my concrete floor next to my sump pump just in case the bottles decided to pop off, but after a week of sitting idle the average temp is 60F. I've moved the beer to a warmer spot. There isn't anything to be worried about right?

I find it easier to put the box of bottles in a Tupperware tub or similar container. For carbonation, you should be as close to 70ºF as you can. Warming up the bottles should get things going.

ColoHox said:
I find it easier to put the box of bottles in a Tupperware tub or similar container. For carbonation, you should be as close to 70ºF as you can. Warming up the bottles should get things going.

Thanks. Ill look into you reply and try to find a warmer section if the house

It may be worth it for you to get a meat/food lug. These are very durable and are great for many uses including soaking bottles. Butcher supply, sausage making supply, etc. I have several and I love them.

The worst that has happened is that you lost a week of carbing. Basically, little to nothing happened during this week because of the temps so start your clock over in a warmer spot and you'll be just fine.

I've moved the beer to a warmer spot. There isn't anything to be worried about right?
Not unless you over-primed the bottles or it's REALLY hot where you moved them to.

I usually let my bottles condition at 60F for a few weeks. If I need them sooner, I'll keep them 65-70 before a day or two in the fridge. But as long as you had a nice, healthy fermentation and enough time in the fermentor, you should be good to go at 60F either way.

Thanks for all the replies. The beer now is at a steady 68F in my closet inside some storage containers. Thanks again

i leave all my bottles in teh basement where is about 62 degrees, they carb up it just takes and extra week to two, agitating the bottles helps alot

Agitating? Do you mean turn upside down , then right side up?

if i need to accelerate the process i just swirl the bottle. you could turn upside down then right side up but its not nessesary, what kind of priming sugar did you use, corn/table/carb tabs? and how much did you use?

I used the brewers best kit for this holiday ale. I believe it was 1lb corn sugar.Since I've placed it in a warm area now, the carbonation is working. I've cracked in open yesterday an low and behold "bubbles". I will keep the bottle twist method in my pocket. Thanks

yea one lb in the boil would be fine to boost gravity, but one pound for carbing is way to much, the usual is 5 oz per five gallon batch, you almost tripled that amount, i'd wait it out and see what happens.

Sorry for the confusion but the 1 LB of sugar was for the wort and the priming sugar was in much smaller pouch. I can see how you might want to wear a helmet if I added that much of sugar.

assuming the smaller bag was ~5 oz you should be fine if you leave it alone for a few more weeks in the low 60s, less time will be needed in teh low 70s

Back