Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question for you. I recently bottled my first attempt at a steam beer this past saturday. Everything went fine in the fermentation, but I opened a bottle today just to check on the carbonation, and it's still completely flat. The bottle I opened I had been keeping in the fridge, which I assumed was alright since I believe I'm technically using a lager strain of yeast (Wyeast's steam beer strain, don't know the number). Should I move the bottles to a warmer temperature to carbonate, or is it too early to even be worried about it?
Just some extra info in case it's relevant: It was fermented at around 50 degrees (I chose to do a steam beer since this was coincidentally the temperature that my basement has stayed at). I'm not sure how cold the fridge is, but I would say lower than 40. Also, there is no sediment in the bottom of the bottles, since between racking to the secondary and then to the bottling bucket, I transferred almost none of the sediment. It was my first "lager," so I wasn't even thinking about it. Since that is bottom fermenting yeast, is there a chance that not enough yeast made it into the bottles? Thanks in advance for the help!

The first responce you will hear is 3 weeks at 70° 3 weeks at 70° 3 weeks at 70°. So five days at cold temps and I don't think you will have any carbonation. I would think warm it up and then it will carbonate. But I'm just a noob so wait a bit and you will have plenty of people chiming in.

So, should I be worried that I don't see any sediment on the bottom on the bottles?

Back