Carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The last 2 batches of pale ale I did were primed with 100g of Dextrose in 19l of beer. After 2 weeks the carbonation was perfect after 5 weeks the fizz was overwhelming. The FG was around 1.012 in each case. Any ideas?

The last 2 batches of pale ale I did were primed with 100g of Dextrose in 19l of beer. After 2 weeks the carbonation was perfect after 5 weeks the fizz was overwhelming. The FG was around 1.012 in each case. Any ideas?

Off the top of my head I think the common answers to the overcarb problem will be:

1. Your beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled it.
2. You overprimed
3. Sanitation issues (bottles not as clean as you thought?)

I'm leaning towards #1 or #3. Maybe #1. Wait until you think your beer is done and take a hydrometer reading. Then wait 3 days and take it again. If it's the same, you're good.

How long did you wait before bottling, and what temperature were you fermenting at, roughly?

zc

a lot of my earlier batches suffered from #3 above. I knew it was a sanitation issue because only some of the bottles gushed. They were great at first, but a month or so down the road started to develop a weird metallic character and started gushing

100 gm (~3.5 oz) is definitely not an over prime for 19 l (~5 gal) of beer. So, must have been incomplete initial fermentation, or infection.

Brew on :mug:

Similar question:
Fifth batch, all is going well. I let this one ferment 4 weeks at about 68 degrees F. Used a new measuring device from Mr. Beer for priming. Secondary fermentation was again 4 weeks. Carbonation seems perfect, perhaps a tad more "tang" in the mouth but not bubbling to excess in the glass or upon opening the bottle.

However, after a few good swallows, my tasting friend & I each had a few more belches than usual. Did not last long.

Just wondering if this is a sign of maybe too little time in the bottle, too much priming sugar, or finally got is right. Also, might there be troubles down the road if I don't get to the last bottles for a few weeks?

Thanks

Similar question:
Fifth batch, all is going well. I let this one ferment 4 weeks at about 68 degrees F. Used a new measuring device from Mr. Beer for priming. Secondary fermentation was again 4 weeks. Carbonation seems perfect, perhaps a tad more "tang" in the mouth but not bubbling to excess in the glass or upon opening the bottle.

However, after a few good swallows, my tasting friend & I each had a few more belches than usual. Did not last long.

Just wondering if this is a sign of maybe too little time in the bottle, too much priming sugar, or finally got is right. Also, might there be troubles down the road if I don't get to the last bottles for a few weeks?

Thanks

Give your bottles a good 3 weeks to carbonate. Different styles of beer are carbonated at different levels. What you are describing might be perfect for a saison but maybe not your preference for an ipa. A few extra burps isn't a big deal if you enjoy the beer I think.

The batches in question were fermented at room temp for 3 weeks I took a gravity readings when a transferred to the secondary. Which was within a couple a couple of points of FG then a 10 day dry hop and cold crash for a couple of days before bottling. The strange thing is the garage where I store the home brews is under the yeast working temps by around 10'C. Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated😊

10C is 50F. Way too cool for the ale yeast to carbonate the beer. The temp should be 70F +/- a couple degrees for 3 weeks or so, depending on the style & size of the bottles. And never rack the beer anywhere till a stable FG is had. It could stall out, then start again after priming & bottling. That could have bad results, evehn dangerous.

Ah, so they were carbed already? Seems like fermentation wasn't quite done yet. 100g of priming sugar for 5 gallons isn't a lot. 100g being 3 1/2 ounces, it should've been lightly carbed.

Thank you for your help I will keep more of an eye on the next batches. I have read some people slightly over prime and when at optimal carbonation steep the bottles in near boiling water to stop the yeast working. Has anyone tried this?

Not me, no. I just make sure the beer is done fermenting, settled out clear & weigh out the right amount of priming sugar for the style.

Back