Carbonation of my keg at room temperature… way too long ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

first time trying to get my beer to 2,6 volume of c02 at around 68F. I set pressure at 29psi… about 7 days and it still at about 2,0 volume I would guess… no leaks at all…

I do have about 6 inch of free space into my keg… is it making a difference ? I got a little less beer volumethan usual…

When you cabonate your leg, don't the bubbles tickle?

Mod edit: This comment is going to make no sense after I fixed the thread title.

Monster edit: Hmmm I didn't know the title was gonna get changed. Can I delete this post?

Last edited:
not sure if this helps....but solubility at 68f would seriously slower....

1642532457468.png

just use it as a feeler gauge for how much longer it would take to dissolve? maybe? if it takes 2 weeks at 40f, at 68f, double it to 4 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
only when i deep throat them....wait this is a respectable, beer drinking forum.....

not sure if this helps....but solubility at 68f would seriously slower....

View attachment 756169

just use it as a feeler gauge for how much longer it would take to dissolve? maybe? if it takes 2 weeks at 40f, at 68f, double it to 4 weeks?
Actually CO2 absorption happens faster at warmer temps, it's just that the final amount absorbed will be less. Solubility of CO2, carbonation charts and calculators, etc. tell you about equilibrium conditions, but say nothing about kinetics (how fast or slow things happen.) Time to carb is a question about kinetics, not where things finally end up.

Brew on :mug:

Hi everyone,

first time trying to get my beer to 2,6 volume of c02 at around 68F. I set pressure at 29psi… about 7 days and it still at about 2,0 volume I would guess… no leaks at all…

I do have about 6 inch of free space into my keg… is it making a difference ? I got a little less beer volumethan usual…
As @day_trippr said, it takes a couple of weeks to get near equilibrium. One week is not enough. You can make it carbonate faster by rolling or shaking the keg, but then you will need to let it sit for days anyway to let the trub settle out again. You should not increase the pressure and agitate the keg, as then you risk over carbonation.

Less beer and more headspace actually makes your beer carbonate a bit faster, and less beer needs to absorb less CO2 to fully carbonate.

The formula that I use for carbonation says you need 31 psi @ 68°F to get 2.6 volumes. 29 psi will get you 2.5 volumes. What chart or calculator did you use to determine pressure?

Brew on :mug:

Actually CO2 absorption happens faster at warmer temps,

my personal experience tells me different....because when i chill my fermenter to 40f....then burst carb with ~1oz co2...it takes way less effort....but psi may be a factor in that?

maybe the fact we're trying to oversaturate the stuff with co2?

my personal experience tells me different....because when i chill my fermenter to 40f....then burst carb with ~1oz co2...it takes way less effort....but psi may be a factor in that?

maybe the fact we're trying to oversaturate the stuff with co2?
Yes the relative over pressure does affect the rate. You'd have to crank the pressure up pretty high to get the same starting over pressure at room temp vs. refrigerator temp.

Back