Carbonation of hard lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmasters

Reaction score
So, I am making some hard lemonade for my wife...I am in a conundrum here...my beer I carbonate with priming sugar and it always works just fine...but with this lemonade I am wanting to add ingredients much like wine, with the intention of stopping fermentation and killing the yeast.

That said, once I kill the yeast, how do I carbonate? Will thinks like carb pellets (like coopers pellets) work in this case, or do they, like priming sugar, need active yeast to carbonate?

I don't keg so I don't have forced carb options.

Thanks for any help.

Well, OK, that sucks...perhaps this batch (second batch of lemonade) I will not add the yeast killers and try the priming sugar method...darn wife, she wants the "sparkling lemonade" thing.

do a search on pasturization. there is a way to do it, i'm just not familiar with it and i don't want to tell you the wrong thing, least you end up with bottle bombs. good luck either way!

Yeah, I just remembered, I have more sugar to add to sweeten the lemonade, which means the yeast HAS to be dead or it will become alcohol...so killing the yeast is a must, but, these non-fertemntable sweeters might be a thing to check out. Thanks for the info.

I've used splenda but have moved away from all the maltodextrin that they use as a filler.. I'm using xylitol now but it's more expensive.. Just backsweeten to taste and use priming sugar for carbonation..
Stevia is another good one that doesn't ferment!

Back