Carbonation like soda level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
i don't have keg system and I'm using bottles for Carbonation
I'm using "Brewers Best Carbonation Drops"
Brewers Best Carbonation Drops

they suggest 1 drop per 12 oz or 375ml bottle .

Can i use 2 and expect Coca Cola level of Carbonation and not a bottle bomb ?

One of those drops already gives carbonation on the high side. I wouldn’t do two. Also consider getting some EZ-caps or some other heavy bottle if you’re going to mess around with higher carbonation levels.

i don't have keg system and I'm using bottles for Carbonation
I'm using "Brewers Best Carbonation Drops"
Brewers Best Carbonation Drops

they suggest 1 drop per 12 oz or 375ml bottle .

Can i use 2 and expect Coca Cola level of Carbonation and not a bottle bomb ?

Assuming one drop is topping off the residual CO2 to about 2.5 volumes, 2 drops would (roughly) land you at about 4.2 volumes, which IMO would be pretty risky with standard beer bottles.

2.5 volumes - 0.8 residual = 1.7 volumes added by one drop.

(2 x 1.7) + 0.8 = 4.2

@VikeMan - You consider 4.2 risky? What volume starts to cause problems? I routinely shoot for 4.0, and did not think I was getting anywhere close to dangerous (just overcarbing for most styles, but I like more carb)

@VikeMan - You consider 4.2 risky? What volume starts to cause problems? I routinely shoot for 4.0, and did not think I was getting anywhere close to dangerous (just overcarbing for most styles, but I like more carb)

Definitive information is hard to come by, but I've read in a few places that standard 12 oz bottles like the kind sold in homebrew stores are rated for 4 volumes. These say 3 volumes.

Personally, I never went above 3.5 volumes.

EZ-cap bottles are rated to 100 psi. They’re what I use when I’m bottling now. I used to used Belgian-style bottles (ordered new online) but they had a thicker lip and were a pain to cap.

@AlexKay - Are EZ cap bottles the same as swing-top bottles? Or is EZ a specific kind of swing-top? I actually already use mostly swing-tops. The glass is much thicker tah regular beer bottles, but I have no idea how much pressure the cap actually holds (-but I assume the cap would leak long before there was enough pressure to blow out the bottle.

EZ caps are swing tops, but I don’t know if all swing tops are EZ caps. For EZ caps, they print their logo on the bottom of the glass.

They also state on their website that their pressure rating is 100 psi. No guarantees for bottles from a company that doesn’t do the same.

It’s a nice product. When I do bottle, I bottle in liter EZ caps. It goes fast.

Back