Carbonation levels too low, not enough psi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reif.erik

Reaction score
So I kegged my beer for the first time this weekend. The directions I got from my LHBS say to hook it up at 35 psi and shake for ~30 secs, let settle and repeat if necessary until desired carbonation levels. I assume its the regulator that I have, but my tank will only go up to ~18 psi so I tried doing it at 18 psi for a little longer to make up for the lower levels but the carbonation is still pretty flat. Do I just need to get a new regulator that will let me get up to 35 psi or should I be able to do it at 18 psi? Thanks for the help :mug:

You can do it at 18 psi, but it will take longer, maybe a week. Try chilling the keg while it has pressure on it. I just put the keg on at serving pressure & wait 7-10 days.

Ya I have it chilled. So are you saying, leave it hooked up at 18 psi for a week and then turn it down to serve after that?

serving pressure seems to run around 5-7 psi. usually.
You said it's chilled, but get it really cold. I've been taking mine
down to 38f. Takes about 2 days in my freezer, all the while
I hold 30 lbs on the keg.
Anyhow, I'd say hold the 18lbs on the keg from the Co tank for
up to a week. release the air from the keg, and reset the gas to
serving pressure....see if that's what you'relooking for.

Carbonation is a function of temperature and your gas pressure. Check out this site for volumes of CO2 for various styles, as well as a chart to figure out the pressure to set based on your desired volumes of CO2 and the temperature of your beer. Set it at this pressure for one week and you'll be good to go. It's a lot easier to do when it isn't your first keg of course!

You could set it a bit higher and rock the keg to get the CO2 in solution quicker, but it's easier to overshoot your mark and have overcarbonated beer. You can fix this by lowering the pressure and venting occasionally, but it's a lot easier and quicker to get gas in than let it out.

Depending on how long your lines are, you may have to knock the pressure down and vent the keg for serving.

Back