Carbonation level and hop bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had a definite answer or experienced something similar. I just tapped my Czech pilsner and my wife said it could use a little more carbonation so I increased the pressure by 2 psi 3 days ago. I poured myself some of my porter last night and I thought it tasted more bitter than it had prior to the CO2 adjustment. So, does a higher CO2 level lead to a more pronounced bitterness?

I've been contemplating a secodary regulator. If the CO2 levels really do affect the perception of bitterness, then I may just go ahead and get a secondary regulator. Although I might just buy a second tank and regulator if I can find a good deal.

I would say no, It may be a perceeved bitterness because of the extra bite of the co2 but the only thing that is going to effect your hop bitterness is your bittering hops. I would just go with a secondary regulator if you are worried it about no need to go and get a whole new tank just to run two different pressures. Unless you have bunch of extra money floating around, in that case, my address is...........

Latest posts

Back