Carbonation drops and bottle sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepaddy

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and would like some assistance please.
I have different size bottles according to what we have available here in South Africa. I would like to know how many carbonation drops should I use for the following size bottles:
330ml
440ml
660ml
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Kevin

I have different size bottles according to what we have available here in South Africa. I would like to know how many carbonation drops should I use for the following size bottles:
330ml
440ml
660ml

Regards,
Kevin

I would suggest skipping the drops and adding a measured quantity of loose corn sugar (or dissolving drops if you already have them) in 2 cups of water and boiling for 15 minutes to sanitize. Cool it a bit, then pour it into the bottom of your bottling bucket before racking. This is likely more sanitary and won't require fiddling with each bottle or trying to be sure the drops dissolve.

Agree with above. I also find that the 660s are just the right size for me. After drinking the first glass I think "mmm, is there any more of that in the bottle?"--and there is!

What brand(s) of carb drops do you have around? If they are Coopers, then 1, 2, and 2 would be about right. The 440 would be a bit over-carbonated.

330ml
440ml
660ml

Regards,
Kevin

Which carbonation drops are available in your area ?

There are several brands of carbonation drops as well as plain table sugar compressed into cubes. Each type or brand contains a different amount of sugar.

bosco

And I don't know about South Africa but in Canada the Cooper drops are ridiculously priced compared to corn sugar powder.

I have coopers drops available here in South Africa. I used corn sugar and did the bulk priming, seems to be ok, no exploding bottles and I will be taste testing of my first Pale Ale this weekend. Thanks again all.

Latest posts

Back