carbonation bottle conditioning ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I opened up a porter today that has been in the bottle for a couple of weeks ( just testing , I know it is not ready yet) and in the cooler a few hours..... I wanted to know why it looks like it does.................Very lerge head, probably 3-4 inches and very creamy looking....when poured it churned in the glass like guinness for a little while ( no idea how else to describe it)
I was just curious why the huge head..is it from the short bottle time or the short cooling time?

Did you taste it? Does it seem overly carbonated in the mouthfeel? It could simply be that too much priming sugar was added and you have overcarbed your beer.

Was the beer still quite warm? If so, here's my theory:

The beer was carbonated more because of the pressure in the bottle as opposed to the temperature of the beer. In the comparatively low pressure of the glass, the beer off-gassed until it approached the volume of CO2 typical of the temperature of the beer. The activity you saw could be because of said off-gassing.

Did you taste it? Does it seem overly carbonated in the mouthfeel? It could simply be that too much priming sugar was added and you have overcarbed your beer.

Yes I tasted it...did not feel fizzy or over carbed...was actually kinda nice ..roasty and smooth......anyway I digress.. I used 5 oz corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Yeah, this happened to me recently with a porter (after just two weeks), but fortunately it was only a couple of bottles. The rest were fine. I've never had this issue before, so I'm not too worried about it. However, you might want to pop one or two more to make sure you aren't creating bottle bombs -- if they are ALL like that, then I'd pop all the caps to be safe.

Worst case scenario, you need a bunch of friends to come over and drink them all right away!

Was the beer still quite warm? If so, here's my theory:

The beer was carbonated more because of the pressure in the bottle as opposed to the temperature of the beer. In the comparatively low pressure of the glass, the beer off-gassed until it approached the volume of CO2 typical of the temperature of the beer. The activity you saw could be because of said off-gassing.

so just a side effect of not being properly cooled down... It was cool though, it looked like waves going down the inside of the glass. I think in a month this is gonna be NIIIIICE...

Yeah, this happened to me recently with a porter (after just two weeks), but fortunately it was only a couple of bottles. The rest were fine. I've never had this issue before, so I'm not too worried about it. However, you might want to pop one or two more to make sure you aren't creating bottle bombs -- if they are ALL like that, then I'd pop all the caps to be safe.

Worst case scenario, you need a bunch of friends to come over and drink them all right away!
Don't see how I could have over carbed it though...FG was steady for several days and only added 5 oz priming sugar for the 5 gallon batch....oh well, time will tell!

Latest posts

Back