Carbonation and lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Belgian tripel and it is close to being done. Jamil says to carbonate and then lager for about a month @ 45 degrees.

I am just curious, do you always carbonate and then lager? Can you just lager in a secondary or keg and then carbonate?

In a keg do you force carbonate or just carbonate normally?

This beer is going to be my first kegged beer and just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks

I am not very experienced with lagering but with kegging you can carbonate naturally (with sugar, though you need less. Use a priming calculator for amounts) or force carbonate (since you are giong to be aging anyway I highly reccomend the set and forget method. I do not see why you cannot put the keg on serving pressure while it is lagering to carbonate, but once again I haven't done any lagering myself.

I believe the advice is to carbonate then lager is referring to naturally carbonating where you would want to get it carbed before you lager and put the yeast to sleep.

You can lager before or after carbonating. (or during when you are kegging)

If you are force carbonating with a co2 tank, just go ahead and throw that bad boy in the fridge and hook up your co2 once the keg is cold.

Personally I wouldn't natural carb in a keg because of the extra traub that will settle, meaning I either have to rack or pull it out in the first few pours. People do this and like it, but its just not for me.

Should be carbed properly in about 2 weeks. you could take it off the pressure then, but leaving it on the whole lagering period will not hurt any.

Latest posts

Back