Carbonation after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesbeer

Reaction score
I just opened my first bottle after three weeks form a porter kit. Followed directions exactly but the beer has no head and, although tastes great, very little carbonation. The bottle opened with a sharp escape of CO2 so I thought the best! I primed each bottle with 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar before capping.
Thanks!

Just give it more time, I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb up.

Make sure you are storing them above 70 degreed, and you may want to give each bottle a gentle swirl to re-rouse the yeast in suspension..they will be fine eventially.

You may find in the future you get a more even carb, and less danger of bottle bombs if you batch prime...
My friends and I have put a lot of neat bottling tips in here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Revvy speaks the truth - stouts and porters seem to take a little more time, rouse them a little and keep at 70*. If you can manage to forget about them for another couple of weeks you may be pleasantly surprised.

In answer to your question in my tips thread, raising the temp to 72 will do no harm to your beer...temp control is really crucial within the first 48 hours or so of fermentation. But after that, and through bottle conditioning, temps not that crucial...as long as we're not talking into the 100's.

Back