Carbonating without Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
Is there any way to carbonate a bottle of homebrew without using priming sugar that will still provide good carbonation?

Is there anyway to not get the mini yeast cake at the bottle of the bottle? I know it has little to no impact on the taste, but for clarity's sake, I want to see if there is a way around it.

Filter, then force carb in a keg.

For clarity's sake, just let it sit longer in the fridge - the yeast will drop out and the cake will be nice and compact.

For clarity's sake, just let it sit longer in the fridge - the yeast will drop out and the cake will be nice and compact.

Yup, between long primary and long in the fridge, I get very little sediment in my bottles, no more, and sometimes less than any other bottle conditioned beer, commercial or otherwise.

You can also use a more flocculant strain of yeast. Some English strains will drop out very well, for example I've noticed with S-04 it drops so tightly it's almost painted to the inside of the bottle. I can pour the entire contents right into a glass and the sediment layer remains undisturbed.

+2 for the last two posts. Leaving the bottles in the fridge longer does wonders for the clarity. After 5 days or so in the fridge you will be surprised.

So there is no way to avoid the keg and get brewery clear beer in a bottle?

Buy a professional bottling line?

Unless you can force carbonate with CO2, there will be yeast reproduction/flocculation in the bottle. Sorry. We've all given you some pretty good ways to minimize this, but if that's not enough for you it's time to start kegging!

I've had lots of "brewery beer" that has sediment in their bottles and still pours pretty darn clear. You wouldn't happen to be pouring that part into your glass would you?

Well...if you want to spend the money there are bottle caps that will act as a filter for your bottled beer. There's youtube videos of somebody trying them out and really liking them, but they were not cheap.

A quick search didn't turn them up but I will keep looking to see if I can find them for you.

EDIT:

And the product website

Last edited by a moderator:
Back