Carbonating water, and flavorings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaney

Reaction score
I figured this might be the most appropriate forum to post in seeing the list I had to choose from. I am assuming there are many of you out there who, like myself prefer to buy 'flavored soda water' instead of sugar laden sodas. These 'soda waters' claim zero caffeine, sodium, sugar, carbohydrates, or preservatives.

Now depending on your region and dialect this product could be many different things. Soda Water, Seltzer, Club Soda, Tonic Water. Here in the US you can easily buy a can of carbonated water infused with flavors such as lemon, lime, pomegranate, cranberry lime, orange, etc... all zero calories, sugar, caffeine, sodium, etc.

Most of these bottles will 'gush'. I recently bought a 'carbonator cap' for my kegging kit, and was wondering if any of you have had success in carbonating flavored waters at home? If so, what is the flavoring you use, and at what volumes/psi do you pressurize the water to get the desired carbonation in straight up water? I have tried a few times and always come up with cloudy flavored water that is flat.

I have googled and searched and come up with nothing, I am hoping you HBT'ers have played around before.

What worked for me was to carbonate a 5 gallon keg of spring water. I had an un-committed spigot on the kegorator so I figured that I would try it out. I bought 5 gallons of spring water and dumped into a keg, hooked it up at 30 psi. for a week, lowered it to 12 psi., then served. I had some flavored simple syrups that I would add 1 oz to the glass and then add 8 to 10 oz soda water and it worked fine. Getting the ratio down took some trial and error. It was also good for the occasional Scotch and soda. As for portability, I would guess that you could bottle from the spigot as you would any other beer that you had on tap. As for vols of CO2, I'm not sure but as I stated above, 30 psi. for a week then serving pressure worked for me.

I'm also interested in flavoring some sparkling water. Have you tried to flavor your own yet Oaney? I've seen some sparkling water essence by Arom & Huset that I think I'm going to buy to try out.

Back