Carbonating/Serving beer from an Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking into investing in a 10L oak barrel like the one here: http://www.amazon.com/American-Barrel-Black-10-Liter/dp/B009K5EQ0Q/ref=pd_sim_hg_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZKRY5HF6K7D9WS0CYGV

I figured this would be an inexpensive and cool alternative to a kegerator to serve beer out of at our backyard bar for my mom's 50th. Is it possible to prime and serve beer from one of these things? In my research I've found a ton of people asking the same question, but none seem to have actually tried it and this can only lead me to assume it was not a raging success.

My question to you now is can it be done? I would imaging even one of these cheap oak casks would hold enough pressure just for priming/conditioning, and given the fact it is going to be drank in a day, would it hold carbonation and pour with a head like a typical draft system?

Last edited by a moderator:
My assumption is that IF it held pressure enough to carb up, I can't imagine the beer would pour without a ton a foam.

I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and find out for myself. Worst case scenario I bought a $100 bar ornament. Will definitely report back if it worked or not in a month or two

Back