Carbonating on yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
I ferment in sanke kegs and usually rack to another one for fining/carbonating before then transferring to serving kegs. I'm planning a NEIPA and considering carbonating on the yeast cake and then transferring directly to serving kegs. The plan would be to let it ferment /dry hop as normal, then force carbonate at 15 psi for about 2 weeks. Plan on using the Verdant strain. Any reason I shouldn't do this? 🍻

If you're already fermenting in kegs, why not attach a spunding valve towards the end of fermentation to get your carbonation naturally? This is better for O2 and saves using CO2. From an O2 uptake perspective, I think the best method is to transfer to serving keg with a few gravity points left and spund in the serving keg. This does limit dry hopping to a short period during active fermentation or dry hopping in the serving keg.

If you're already fermenting in kegs, why not attach a spunding valve towards the end of fermentation to get your carbonation naturally? This is better for O2 and saves using CO2. From an O2 uptake perspective, I think the best method is to transfer to serving keg with a few gravity points left and spund in the serving keg. This does limit dry hopping to a short period during active fermentation or dry hopping in the serving keg.
I very well may. I typically cap my fermenter after dry hopping until I reach final gravity at fermentation temps. From there I cold crash and usually end up with a vessel pressure of about 5 psi @ 33F which isn't enough to fully carbonate, hence the need for forced CO2 after the cold crash.

To the original question.....There's no reason not to carbonate on the yeast cake. I'd suggest keeping out as much of the trub as possible when transferring from boil kettle to ferment keg.

Lol! I was agreeing with @Gnomebrewer. And I like the idea of spunding in the original keg and skipping a transfer.
But starting the process burdened by excessive kettle trub cuts yield and just makes everything tougher...

Cheers!

[edit] If it hasn't been considered, might look up floating dip tubes...

Lol! I was agreeing with @Gnomebrewer. And I like the idea of spunding in the original keg and skipping a transfer.
But starting the process burdened by excessive kettle trub cuts yield and just makes everything tougher...

Cheers!

[edit] If it hasn't been considered, might look up floating dip tubes...
I figure it's not much trouble with a floating dip tube and intake filter for the primary fermenter. This has worked really well for me when transferring from primary to brite or serving kegs in this case.

Latest posts

Back