Quantcast

Carbonating in secondary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

knowltonm

Reaction score
Has anyone tried carbonating in secondary? I read something about this but I'm not sure I would want to try it. When would this even be an advantage over force carbonating a keg or priming the batch right before bottling? It seems like there's too much that would go into it...pressure valve/regulator and counter pressure fillers would be needed. Thanks. (forgive me if this is a repeat, I searched and couldn't find a thread)

FlyGuy

Reaction score
What kind of vessel do you use for a secondary? You can't carbonate in carboys or better bottles, unfortunately. They won't hold up to the pressure.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Nope, sorry. Buckets won't seal or hold the pressure required. Nor are they a recommended vessel for conditioning beer (they tend to leak O2).

OP
K

knowltonm

Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot about that little catch. Am I best to just put this out of my mind and stick with traditional methods? New things intrigue me and I naturally want to try them...but this may not be worth it.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
You need a SS conical fermenter to be able to carbonate in the secondary, it's not feasible for most homebrewers.

WortMonger

United States Mashtronaut
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I carbonate in my primary. I transfer clear carbonated beer into my serving keg from the primary. You wouldn't have to do anything but ferment in your carboy and transfer (a few gravity points out) to a sealed off keg that you set with a initial CO2 pressure to really seal it (this is if you are using a Corny). The pressure relief stuff is cheap enough to make and worth it if you are wanting to naturally carbonate (simple pressure gauge/adjustable pressure relief valve). Even working with a pressure gauge only and releasing pressure manually works. You would have more sediment than I would in your serving/secondary keg, but that comes out after a couple of pints anyway. Without taking over a thread with my information you can check it out here. Maybe you could get an idea from it or something. Anyways, hope it helps you out and I would be happy to answer any questions. I haven't used bottles in years, and got into keg natural carbonation this last year.

Latest posts